A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How to achieve 3D(?) in Flash similar to this? (link inside)

How to achieve 3D(?) in Flash similar to this? (link inside)

Hi, this is my first post here.

I'm wondering how I could achieve 3D effects in Flash similar to some of the templates at this site?

http://www.steves-templates.com/3d-templates.html

So far I've tried to do a Lightwave + Swift3D plugin combo, but trying to make something similar to some of those templates (i.e. animated computer/server boxes) typically results in enormous files/loading times.

Also, from the general look on those templates vs. the look I'm getting using Swift3D, I'm coming to the conclusion that the people who made those used something else?

A lot of it is optimization that people tend to forget... such as polygonal mesh optimization to begin with. The more vertices that you have, the bigger your file will be. Also, they're not really animating them that much - 12-20fps with a reduced poly mesh, and you'll find your filesizes will have dropped as well.

Also, which setting that you have decided to use will also be of some help with sizing it down.

And some... they're no longer even polygonal. They're bitmaps - heavily compressed *.jpg's. You have the right tools, it's now all about the right settings and output now.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Agree... Simple bitmaps... compressed...

Nice site tho
    Cordially,
    Abelius
    www.worldkit.com

I'm a complete n00be in 3D. I've never used any 3D prog b4 and I'm just about to purchase a 3D software but I was wondering...

1. Is this done through frame by frame animation?
    http://www.template-help.com/screenshots/9100/9167.html

2. Which 3D program would be recommended for this fly-thru effect that can be intergrated into flash?

3. Does the 3D program export each individual bitmaps? If so, how do u go about exporting?

Hi there 76'ers... didn't see you post after I had posted.

That animation you just posted could be done in a few ways - all it is is a "virtual set", where you'd basically use 3D objects such as furniture, et al, and render the camera moving through the virtual set. Then render via the application to either a movie (*.avi, *.mov) and import that into Flash directly, or use the same 3D application to render the animation to individual, sequenced named/numbered (it'll do it for you) bitmaps for you, and import those into Flash.

For each fly-through, you'd have to do the above ritual, and then via ActionScript within Flash, you'd play each animation from the individual fly-throughs via onClick to whatever that Movie Clip is called.

Hope that makes sense. Each fly-through will become a movie clip within Flash. To clarify.

I live in The Netherlands, Hellevoetsluis
    Hi there,

I'm new to 3d Flash, as in I have never used it before. If I'm correct you can make some nice 3d flash intro's with the use of 3d Studio Max, by saving every frame in the animation (created in 3d max). This is some sort of stop-motion am I correct? Frame by frame animation.

At the moment I'm busy with a flash animation for on my website. It's a 3d animation, containing 3 boxes, which rotate, in the same way as this flash animation is (click here), the part where the pieces are rotating with the blur effect.

My question is, how can I make the same sort rotation, with the blur effect? Is it done with special software? I have absolutely no idea how to create a blur effect like that in 3d Studio Max...

You can use blur within 3ds max - I'm away from my computer answering via a friends computer whilst travelling. Either via environment/animation controls or via a plugin.

Makes for png alpha hell at times though if you're using an output stack of pngs.

Hi,

All I can add is, get to know your 3D software really well. I use 3D's Max (very easy) and over the past 2 years I have found ways to improve using 3D in my Flash by creating more efficent models, etc.. in Max.

Animated 3D though does chew up the file sizes. Aviod long complex ani's. Not only does it increase file sizes, but Flash player really struggles (& I've got a Athlon64 3500 and 1GB RAM).

Cheers

Carl
    [::TILL THE END::]