dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [FeedBack] Our attempt at something big!

A Flashkit User

[FeedBack] Our attempt at something big!

[The Update Post is now on Post #63]
    www.carsahoy.com/game/betatest.swf
    www.carsahoy.com/game/betainside.gif

So, 5 of us are embarking on a rather difficult challenge of making an RPG. And as you all know, its a very hard task to do!

We've already prepared outselves for failure so if and WHEN it does come, we'll be ready! However, we've been known to work miracles...

Anyways, heres a screen shot of something I threw together for an test interface and such. It is by no means done and/or what its might end up looking like, but Ill be glad to hear your feedback, ideas, and or suggestions!

Thanks!

-Ostil-

PS. We may be deemed to failure, but we'll go down trying!
    PSS. Any warnings and headsup will be appreciated!

Note: There are a few people on our team that are also here on FK, so if you see them asking for help, please help them!
    -Ostil
    -Osteel
    -Churock
    -Jordork
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ostil; 10-11-2005 at 01:05 PM.

well, to be honest, I've seen worse starts to rpgs on this fourm, at least you have something to show. My best advice would be (of course I dont really know your flash experince but this stands no matter really) to make isolated demos of the main game features to begine with. So make a nice iso-tile engine and get mr.Hero walkiing around it, then maybe work on a script engine or something. That way even if you don't get round to finishing the whole game you'll have some useful components for the next project you work on.

You can have a wee looksie at my teeny lil rpg engine here:
    www.errorware.co.uk/daemons

and that engine did get put on the backburner, but I still got some nice things from it and a 75% complete engine should a client ever spring "I want an RPG" on me (though please god dont ever let them say that).

chris.

A Flashkit User
    Hey thanks for that advice!
    We all (the 5 of us) have experience in flash, but never something this big! Good idea with the small demos.
    We just started a few days ago, so I think if we can get one small map that covers the basics (walking, items, battle, and all that jazz), were set!

Your games awesome too. Its the coding that you have in your game that is going to cause us the most problems. Lucky for us, two of our guys have learned various programming languages including Java....may not be enough but its better then nothing!

Thanks again

-Ostil-

One day I will rule the world.
    From the screenshot it seems to be somewhat like age of empires. (I can't wait for AOEIII!!!). I'd really like to play the finished product!

cool!! sounds like you'll get pretty far!! good luck!!
    Fogle

Quote Originally Posted by Ostil
    So, 5 of us are embarking on a rather difficult challenge of making an RPG. And as you all know, its a very hard task to do!

We've already prepared outselves for failure so if and WHEN it does come, we'll be ready! However, we've been known to work miracles...

Anyways, heres a screen shot of something I threw together for an test interface and such. It is by no means done and/or what its might end up looking like, but Ill be glad to here your feedback, ideas, and or suggetions!

Thanks!

-Ostil-

PS. We may be deemed to failure, but we'll go down trying!
    PSS. Any warnings and headsup will be appreciated!
    Sounds like you guys are up to the challenge of doing this. I want to see some real good Flash rpgs out there, so I want to encourage you guys to go ahead and create something.

I am also working on an rpg myself so it will pretty interesting to see how both of us go about scripting the game. Some problems I've encountered in the past were organizing the code in such a way that you can go back to it later and modify any script. When I got maybe 20 % into the game creation process I would give up b/c I just totally had no idea where all my functions were and what each variable was supposed to do... lets just say I was searching through hundreds and hundreds of lines of code.

Of course I learn from my mistakes and have a go at the game process again. Right now everything is going excellent so far. My rpg game is divided into several classes, each take care of a certain aspect of the game. So my advice to you and your friends is to clearly name your functions and variables (name them depending on what exactly they do) and if you can use some sort of OOP in Flash 7 & 8, if not you can use the prototype in Flash 6.

Also, don't forget about editors. The level makers will need these to build the game of course. You want the level makers to have an easy to use editor that gives them a variety of tools such as placing whole objects as opposed to seperate tiles for one large object (composed of say 10x8 tiles). My plan is to build a map editor, and a conversation editor for adding the conversations that will take place in the game. You need these editors to actually have a good game. This way you can also create other rpgs, its just a matter of replacing the tile and sprite gfx and maybe modifing your engines.

Well, hopefully we can share our ideas and help each other out if you decide to do this. Good luck .

A Flashkit User
    Hey thanks for those ideas. Ill re-read this more indepth once Im back to working on it, but by the sounds of it, you have some great ideas. I dont know much about the programming part, but the other two in our team sure know and they have it planned out.
    Maybe we can work out some ideas together!

Thanks for the encouragment, I'll talk to you again hopefully.

-Ostil-

An FKer
    andross_88
    Of course I learn from my mistakes and have a go at the game process again. Right now everything is going excellent so far. My rpg game is divided into several classes, each take care of a certain aspect of the game. So my advice to you and your friends is to clearly name your functions and variables (name them depending on what exactly they do) and if you can use some sort of OOP in Flash 7 & 8, if not you can use the prototype in Flash.

We plan on using Classes, as two of the 5 in this project have programming experience (Java and such) we know the concepts and workings of Classes

All left to do is learn how to apply it in Flash

Ostil - I like your game so far haha, mainly because Im part of it!

-Osteel-
    Last edited by Osteel; 09-27-2005 at 08:11 AM.

Animating 360 Degrees Of Movement Will Be The Death Of Me!!!!!!

A Flashkit User
    The hardest part I think about making this rpg is the graphics. I dont have much experience in art, so thats what I think would be hardest since I am doing most of the graphics...

But then again, the programming guys are going to have a rough time too haha..

The sounds of failure rings loud in my head!

-Ostil-

PS. Does anyone else have any suggestions on programming, graphics and all those things, it would be most appreciated!

Drunk And a Squirrel!
    looks great, got a diablo looks to it
    Current Project

Adventure Game
    "Untitled"

A Flashkit User
    Yea, were going for an mmo type looking rpg. Thanks for commenting =D

Does anyone have any suggestions on graphic design and programming?

Thanks again

-Ostil-

i'd like to see a working version or something that moves before i pass judgement. It kinda looks like vector art, i like pixels much better. But good start anyway.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

An FKer
    Well as we are only starting to begin, we havent yet combined the Character movement with the map

Churock (hes a few posts up) is working on the Character movement, making it look smooth and legit

*Attaches*, have a look at it for youself, though I only have the old copy of it on my computer

-Osteel-
    Last edited by Osteel; 05-01-2009 at 02:39 AM.

that's a good walking cycle. Will the finished product be using vectors
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Vector or pixel?

If we were to use pixels we may run into some resizing issues. By using vectors, we have alot more flexibility in terms of resizing objects to meet our needs(big character, small character, close up, long shot, objects in inventory vs. in hand of person). Size variations with pixels will mean creating objects for different sized scenes/shots in the games. So to answer you question, this will be a vector based game for the sake of sanity and its useability compared to pixel art

Chad

--Character animation.

Seems like going the vector path is a good idea, but keep in mind that bitmaps bring out the color and detail of a game, while vectors are clean and plain most of the time. But I still encourage you to take that approach, our eyes might just like what we see. Keep up the good work. Please update us when you have a walking/scrolling version in place.

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Vectors can look great if used right! I don't have any graphics software here so just some textual advice.

more contrast and more details especially on larger surfaces! Also give it a lot more shadows and highlights! ...I am only saying all this because I think you have a good start there ...also the towers spikes are way off from the perspective...if you can call it perspective...angle maybe? Dunno, tired, will go to bed now
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

A Flashkit User
    Hmm, yea I think it could use some more detail. But I also think that too much detail will lessen the effect. The towers were a test, I'll still haven't fixed those, but that whole picture was a test.
    Thanks for your advice, I'll look into doing what you said =D

Right now were going to create a beta test which we can post and keep updated. Thanks again everyone for your advice!

-Ostil-

Awsome screen shot, do u have a story line yet?

wish my friends used flash, altho i have a friend who is doing fairly well using C++ he made a few games with it... Maby i can start a project with him in flash
    92.7 Fresh FM for all your South Aussies - Doof Doof music FTW people!