dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Show/Test] Action/RPG progress

[Show/Test] Action/RPG progress

Weekly Update #3

I could not include everything I originally planned to have in this week's update, unfortunately. But I promise to build new enemies and get the new battle system up and running in the coming weeks if anyone's interested. I'm think of using combo attacks in which you have to press a series of keys quickly to unleash, say, a sprint+stab attack or a powerful sword slash for example. But thats just one of the ideas I am working on. If you have some really neat ideas too, please discuss them here, maybe I can include them as well .

So the new feature in this update is that you can speak to character sprites. I barely started the conversation engine, so there are no special text animation yet, and no scrolling either, but those features will eventually be included into the engine.

*Phew* Before you see the demo, I just wanted to say that Flash is amazing! It has been so far the best computer programming app I've used, in fact the only one I've ever used, haha. But I bet programming in Java environments is not as easy as doing it in Flash. Macromedia is doing a good job so far, and I believe that introducing AS 3.0 has been the best move they've ever made.

So enough. Here's the update. I welcome any criticisms or comments.

Controls: arrows to move, A to attack, D to speak. (There are 4 characters you can talk to)

http://e.1asphost.com/andross88/MainGameFlash8Bit.html
    Last edited by andross_88; 10-12-2005 at 09:20 PM.

Wow....
    I should be asking YOU how to improve MY game =D
    I think you should remove that annoying percent thing, or atleast speed it up.
    Trust me, I use 56K, your only problem is if its 2+ MB
    Needs animation on walking and inventory etc. but this is still better than what Im working on >.>

Awesome, work.

Excellent! I really love it !
    I couldn't find bugs.

Sugestions:
    -when you're hit, you percentage doesn't come to 0 so it's too easy to counter-attack.
    -Some gfx improvrements could be made : cutting grass, walk animation, ennemy's death animation, the fonts.
    -The possibility to hit if you percentage is lower than 100, like in the original game.
    -The ennemy may rest longer after being hit

My hosting service is recieving too many requests, so I added a second link.

Thanks for the replies! The graphics are the least of my worries now. I can go in and change or add them later with ease. I just want to get the basic attack engine and game engine done first. After this difficult task, I can go ahead and work the minor details and add lots of new enemies. The graphics might also be different for a different game I will make later down the road that may share similar aspects to Secret of Mana. Thanks again.

my x booty it is that BIG
    i love the idea of the gauge that fills in before you attack :O)
    Project||[GAME]-on hold for now
    ------------------
    [Hero]-80%
    [Enemies]-1%
    [Weapons]-90%
    [Items]-0%
    [Levels]-10%

Me too. In the original game you could attack even while you were recovering stamina, but I always felt that creators of SOM should have designed it so that you could attack only when you were at 100%. Now I can have the game made the way I want it, yaaaay, even if others are annoyed by it.

An FKer
    EDIT: Am I tired or am I tired ... *Hides previous sentence*

Anyways, its a good start, I hope to play the finished version to. My only suggestion is to get him to walk not glide

But your havent gotten there yet ... right?

Good work

-Osteel-

Bug!

There is no Z sorting, the character is ALWAYS shown below the flowers

OMG, i'll have to buy a DS...

Quote Originally Posted by fil_razorback
    Bug!

There is no Z sorting, the character is ALWAYS shown below the flowers
    Oh yes. Forgot about that. I will have to add some method to take care of that or else it will look unrealistic. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by UnknownGuy
    Thanks for that one man. That really did inspire me! I hope the story is as good and they havent replaced the method of fighting with those of other normal rpgs which I just dont like. I had no idea square soft was still going to make games based on Mana (thought they stopped with the SNES series). Square Enix? Since when did Soft become Enix?!

I'll have to see if I can get a hold of the DS game.

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    Square purchased Enix a bit ago.

Good thing: Dragon Quest 8 is coming to the US.

"thought they stopped with the SNES series"

-Legend of mana (the game people where calling seiken densetsu 4) is on PSX
    -And they recently released a remake of Mystic Quest called Sword of Mana on the GBA.

A Flashkit User
    Heh, when I was younger, me and my brother played seiken densetsu 3 on SNES ( a japanese version using this funky attachment that allowed you to play it on a snes ) and we played the whole thing in japanese! We couldn't read any of it but we just followed the story line by what we saw and memorized items names and things....

Trust me, it was a real game experience!

-Ostil-

hey looks good so far.
    bug:
    if you are up against like a bush and one of those flowers are attacking and hitting you towards the bush, you are stuck because before you can move again, the flower attacks you.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Isaac Newton
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

wow.
    nice game.
    ill have to buy it for my ds

When your all done, make sure to fix the sound. It's kind of weird. theres a pause at the end of the loop. but thats no big deal and thats an awsome game.

Thanks again for the replies! I have a feeling I will get pretty far with this project, and probably have a playing version sometime in the near future. I will try to post updates of significant changes or additions of enemies whenever time allows me. I will be busy, so check back in about a week or two if your interested in my progress.

My goal for the next update will be:
    1. Addition of more tiles for a more rich and colorful environment
    2. Huge map, but I mean, HUGE!
    3. Maybe more some more enemies to entertain you guys.
    4. I am also developing a new battle engine, I have this really unique idea that might just work and will bring a unique experience to the table. Hopefully this will set this game apart from SOM and any other rpg ever made (you might call it a "Revolution" if you know what I mean), so cross your fingers, I know I am.

By the way, I will only be posting parts of the whole game that are on my pc so don't expect too much. The reason for this is that I don't want anyone hacking the finished product (I trust you guys, but there are just other people out there with bad intentions). But I will gladly share my knowledge later with all of you, so that you all can do something like this (this is for all you "I want to make an rpg" posters! okay?) Well, thanks again.

Insignificant Member Joshman_123's Avatar
    Good luck, andross 88.

If you don't mind, could you bare to impart your wisdom of artificial intelligence upon me? I want to make a working engine, but it's things like random wander and attack behaviours that I'm not quite sure how to do.

Help with a dialogue engine would be great too. The best I can come up with is a "[character] dialogue" movieclip containing the NPC's speech, and a few dialogue option buttons directing the player to different dialogue screens within the "[character] dialogue". Is there something wrong with that or is there a better way to go about doing this?

Thanks champ.
    I have like, a gazillion posts on my other account.

The second update to The Mana Tree, see first post.