A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [FeedBack] Our attempt at something big!

An FKer
    Gloo pot

As this is an MMORPG type game, a storyline wont work really. A story always has an ending and as you know, MMORPG's have no end to the fun

Though we arent planning to put this online (yet) as we have only started, we might in the future, and so for now were keeping it a single player mmorpg

A story is a good idea if we can find a way to incorporate it without an ending, but in these types of games, the stories lie within the quests you are sent out to do and accomplish

Thanks for the compliments and suggestions

so for now were keeping it a single player mmorpg
    Quite the feat, a single player Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. I wouldn't have thought it possible to be honest.

Ok, enough kidding. It looks like a great start. I hope you are successful!

A Flashkit User
    Well, when Osteel says single player MMORpg, its kinda of a contradiction I suppose. What were going for is a rpg type game that uses the same type of game play, features and things that come with an MMO.

Yea, it is quite a feat. But were trying anyways, learning new things. If it doesn't work out, at least we learned a bunch of new things that we can use if we plan to try again in the future

-Ostil-

Activate

Programming - Oui

Hey guys.

I'm working on this project with the rest of the team. I'm programming the aspects we want to put into this game along with one other. I've mainly been using C++ and Java, which Flash's Actionscript is a runoff (of course). However, I have been trying to figure some things out in Flash.
    I've been running some of the pseudocode in my head, but I need to learn more about :
    -Creating classes inside of Flash - if possible.
    -Where to put functions so that they are global to the entire project.
    -Working right now on hittest/perspective hittesting
    -Also working right now on spawning and despawning objects.

If anyone has any advice for a fellow programmer, throw 'em my way.

Jordork.

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Haha, Flash is gonna drive you crazy It's a lot looser than C++ and java, and even more sandbox than Java, which is gonna screw with you but besides from that it seems they've picked up alot with AS2! What do you want to know about the classes?
    just put functions in the main timeline... _root always refer to the main timeline.

If you take one question at a time I'll try to keep up
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

An FKer
    Haha, as Jordork is not currently available, Ill answer your question somewhat as we both took programming courses together

(He was better, so thats why hes doing most of it haha)

We learned the basics for object oriented programming involving classes which is obviously a great help since there will be much of it

But one of the problems (or issues) we face is actually learning the Flash way of making and applying these classes

Anyways, Ill be sure to get him to answer your post, thanks alot for the help

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Check this very current Thread:

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=652086

it explains alot
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

Insignificant Member Joshman_123's Avatar
    Hey guys, if you need any help let me know. I'd be glad to join your team as a programmer/site designer/conceptist. I'd just do it for fun (no pay).
    I have like, a gazillion posts on my other account.

A Flashkit User
    Wow thanks for your offer. This team was based off friends so we all know each other which also makes it easier. Ill put your offer through to the rest of the team. Maybe if we run into a ton of trouble, we could call on you =P

Thanks again!

-Ostil-

Activate

Objects

I've also wanted to start creating my own objects in Flash Actionscript. I want to be able to say make a character or NPC or something, give him specific variables such as HP/MP the usual RPG stats, and then I want to be able to call on them at runtime. I know how to do it in Java, but it's much different here. If either of you guys would know how to write a object class and utilize it, I would love to know or if you knew a site I could read from that'd be great too, phreax, or Josh.
    I've wrote the code for spawning and despawning objects(movie clips). So I no longer need help on that (unless I find a bug I can't get through).

Thanks for the replies guys. Always good to hear ideas from another programmer.

Jordork .

Let me try and show you an example of how I create objects. I don't know if this is what you want so correct me.

code:

class Sprite {
    var sprite:MovieClip;

public function Sprite (gameField:MovieClip
    ,intialX:Number
    ,initialY:Number
    ,spriteMovieClipName:String
    ,depth:Number) {

this.sprite = gameField.attachMovie("sprite",spriteMovieClipName ,depth
    this.sprite._x = initialX;
    this.sprite._y = initialY;
    }

public function set _x (x) {
    this.sprite._x = x;
    }
    public function set _y(y) {
    this.sprite._y = y;
    }
    public function get _x( ) {
    return this.sprite._x;
    }
    public function get _y( ) {
    return this.sprite._y;
    }
    public function die ( ) {
    this.sprite.removeMovieClip();
    delete this; //this deletes this object, not sure if this is the best way to do
    //it though, so play around with it.
    _root.initiateGameOverSequence();

}
    }

This is just the basic template I use for sprites, but it might be a start for you. So this is the sprite class (this is saved as .as file). In the main flash movie you create an instance of this class like this:

var sprite1 = new Sprite (_root.gameField, 10, 30, "sprite1",0);
    sprite._x = 20;

so sprite1 is an instance of the class Sprite. Now, whenever you access the _x and _y methods of this sprite1 object, the object will set its movieclip's x and y properties accordingly (remember that our object creates a movieclip). So the movieclip is basically the graphical representation of this sprite object. If we did not create the movieclip via attachMovie, there woudn't be anything on the stage, the object would just exist in the movie as a variable. So now you can create all sorts of methods for the class that can change the state of the graphic. Good luck! (forgive my writing, it was rushed)

Insignificant Member Joshman_123's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostil
    Wow thanks for your offer. This team was based off friends so we all know each other which also makes it easier. Ill put your offer through to the rest of the team. Maybe if we run into a ton of trouble, we could call on you =P
    Give us an update on your game and I'll see if I can help any. Also, what level are you all at (previous work, ActionScript skills etc.)?
    I have like, a gazillion posts on my other account.

An FKer
    Joshman 123

Good morning all, ill take this question

All the members of this team have at least taken 2 courses using flash and so we know our way around the program

As for action scripting, we havent gotten into much depth using Classes and such

But fortunatly, a few of us have Java course experience so we know the concept of how Classes work

Its just a matter of relearning it Flash Style

Andross 88

Thanks for the example, thats exactly what Jodork was talking about, or so I think. Anyways, this game is going to need *many* classes, so thanks for showing us how to create them

An FKer

Movement Help

As were still waiting for Churock to finish the Character animation, I started to attempt to make the movement

I found a tutorial which dealt with click based movement and so using it I made a basic movement .fla

But I need a little bit of help as the tutorial I used only covers the four basic directions and so looks a bit odd when the Character walks on angles

Anyways, Ive attached my crude walking cycle and if anyone cares to look over it and tell me how to get it to walk diagonally as well, it would be most appreaciated

Also, if you know how to go about making it walk AROUND objects instead of straight into them ...

*Attaches*
    Last edited by Osteel; 05-01-2009 at 02:39 AM.

A Flashkit User
    Alright so heres a little update on what we've accomplished so far...(feel free to leave a comment...)

We want to create a short and simple beta just to see if we have what it takes. Everyones been learning what they could on their free time such as programming. We also have some basic character movement which still needs to be completed.

Anyways, I just wanted to put up my beta map that we might use, just to get some feedback. The objects may not be very consistant with each other, but I tried..(not much of an artist let alone a flash artist). There is also some dead space, but I'll fill in and add detail later.

Tell me what you think, I'll send this to the programmer to start learning how to do the basics in hittest and char interactions and such so a beta should be on its way.

If anyone has anymore suggestions or ideas on how to do things (for example, osteel's problem with the math thing in the post before this) feel free to help us out =D

Thanks again everyone who helped us out already and tell me what you think about the map/picture!

-Ostil-
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ostil; 10-05-2005 at 11:24 AM.

A Flashkit User
    Heres an update for our game without a name...

We now have an outside and an inside (of the building in the picture in the previous thread). We also have the basic code around the movement of the charcter and hittest. The character which is a ball at the moment, can walk around the map, bump into things and go behind and 'infront' of objects such as trees! It may sound basic, but we had to learn all this from nothing...

We also still have a character movement coming hopefully, it should be done soon, but we dont know for sure...

Were now going to get some more of the programming behind the game done such as using a door to go inside a building and NPC's and such. If anyone has any advice, feel free to tell us =P

We also need a name for this thing, so if you have an ideas, send them our way!

Thanks again everyone

-Ostil-

That's great news. Sounds like your game is coming along. Keep up the good work.

When can we expect a running demo of what you have so far, I'm really interested in seeing it run as you have described. The graphics look nice and professional looking by the way. Are the maps object based or art based? Is there going to be any scrolling involved or is it gonna be screen by screen?

Well, if you guys ever feel that you need some help just ask here and we'll see what we can do, but I doubt you guys will need it. Good job.

A Flashkit User
    Hey thanks for the comments =P

I created those graphics, and to be honest, it was the first time I've created something like that (I'm no artist), so seeing that people actaully thing it looks good makes me feel more motivated! Thanks a lot!

The beta is still on its way, but I cant give a date or anything. The maps are objected based. We create a giant library of objects that we can use and just build a map. But of course we dont have that many objects currently since this is just a beta =P
    Also, we were planning on making this a scrolling map. But again, its a beta so we'll leave it as just a screen. Mind you, were all still new at coding flash, so figuring out how to scroll the screen my take some time.

Other then that, we should have a beta some time soon, hopefully. Were still waiting for one of our friends to finish the character animations, but he's been busy with some university assignment.

Haha, well I think were going to need some help in some areas, so we'll turn to these forums for help =P

Thanks for the encouragment!

-Ostil-

~An Impossible Project~

A Flashkit User
    Alright, I think its time for another little update. This is a very rough version and obviously still had a lot of things that need to be fixed which were trying to figure out or fix at the moment.

I just wanted to get some feedback and maybe some tips on what you guys think. Please tell us, beacuse it will help us make this better. Also, if you know anything that could help, please tell us =D

Here are a few updates I put on a site...

www.carsahoy.com/game/betatest.swf
    www.carsahoy.com/game/betaindoors.gif

Tell me what you think!

(The char is just a ball at the moment...)

-Ostil-
    Last edited by Ostil; 10-06-2005 at 02:41 PM.

Looks like your pathfinding algorithm will need some work. Artwork is a good start. I feel like the art is missing something - probably just polish. Right now it just does not look very interesting, but that will come with more details and such. Looks like a good start
    pnFlashGames.com
    share your games with thousands
    MediaProtect.org - Helping you protect your work (In Development)