dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [FeedBack] Our attempt at something big!

An FKer
    Looks like your pathfinding algorithm will need some work. Artwork is a good start. I feel like the art is missing something - probably just polish. Right now it just does not look very interesting, but that will come with more details and such. Looks like a good start

Well as you probably know from reading the previous posts, our experience in Flash doesnt cover the Actionscript areas ... well not the in depth parts anyways

Anyways, would you know any good tutorials that would teach us how to go about scripting Path Finding ?

Thanks

Sure, check out Jobe Makar's book Flash MX 2004 Game Design Demystified. He has a nice long explanation in there about A* pathfinding.
    pnFlashGames.com
    share your games with thousands
    MediaProtect.org - Helping you protect your work (In Development)

An FKer
    Thanks, we'll look into that

Also, if anyone has any graphical suggestions for things to add to the map, feel free to throw them our way

Were running out of ideas! :P

Activate
    Very interesting the A* Algorithm is. I've read it through and feel that I could program that into our game. However we're still to decide whether or not we're going to make this a tiled game, or a free-roaming system. I personally like the free-roaming idea because of the freedom it permits over tiles, allowing this style of art to really stand out. Once I figure out which method we'll be using I will play around with some pathfinding that is definitly needed.
    One of the small problems I've been running into is trying to make sure that the character will not run "underneath" objects. I've made a layer of foreground objects and a layer of objecst that you can walk upon, however there's the problems that the character is partially seen underneath the house. I'm thinking I'd do a hittest on both the character, and then do a hittest on the map(or hitter movieclip). There are a couple of problems, but I think I have them under control. If not I'll come back here and ask about it.

Something I wanna ask now is how can I click on movie clips and have them perform an action. I'm using onClipEvent(mouseUp), but it doesn't seem to activate the event. I was thinking it had to do with some of the other code in the beta, but I can't pinpoint the actual problem. Any ideas?

An FKer
    I just finished reading the A* article and somewhat understood it. Like Jordork said were borderlined between having tiles or not

But were all meeting (most of us anyways) tomorrow for Thanksgiving dinner so hopefully we can clear some things up then

Something I wanna ask now is how can I click on movie clips and have them perform an action. I'm using onClipEvent(mouseUp), but it doesn't seem to activate the event. I was thinking it had to do with some of the other code in the beta, but I can't pinpoint the actual problem. Any ideas?

^ Just so someone sees it

... our experience in Flash doesnt cover the Actionscript areas ...
    Your experience in programming in general I'd say if you don't know about such basic things as A* :/

I'd suggest that you keep your graphics objectbased and free as they are now but set up an invisible grid to use for the pathfinding.

Just use onMouseDown = function () {}; and make sure the mouse if over the object.
    // Mazapán, my portfolio

An FKer
    Kianis

Haha, if you call A* basic, then we're in trouble arnt we . Perhaps if we change the method of movement to the keyboard; Ill ask the others

Its not that we dont have *any* experience in programming, me and Jodork have both taken programming courses at school and know how to go about using object oriented program

Also, Im not saying that the A* (after reading) didnt make sense, it did. So you cant really go on the assumption we know absolutly nothing

Anyways, thanks for the input and replying to Jordorks question Ill be sure to get him to read it
    Last edited by Osteel; 10-07-2005 at 05:10 PM.

Sorry, it came out a bit harsh. I meant it's basic when it comes to pathfinding.
    My point was that, although I understand you realize it and that it has been said a thousand times already, a game like this might be a bit too hard to acomplish. Nevertheless, good luck on your project, I hope you prove me wrong ^^
    // Mazapán, my portfolio

Sooo Ostil, Osteel, Churock or Jordork whens the first demo gona be ready?? :P hope to see it soon! and good luck!!
    Fogle

Activate
    No release dates as of yet. With the beta map being designed, coded, and tested, we've got a little bit to do before we can really put out the finished product. However, we will be keeping everyone up to date with our progress, so keep in touch.

Osteel I personally like the free-roaming idea because of the freedom it permits over tiles
    You'll soon find out that artBased games are more restrictive than tileBased. It'll become much more frustrating as you add more elements to the game. I also don't believe that graphics sufer from tileBased games, Its only restrictive if you want it to be.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

My pathfinding tutorial:
    http://www.tonypa.pri.ee/tbw/tut22.html
    And next chapter explains another algorithm.

Notice that I dont talk about A* because A* is too powerful and too slow for most games. Your pathfinding doesnt have to be perfect, it only has to be good enough.

Flash, Mans greatest invention
    Hi
    Nice game and comeing along nice

one thing i really dont understand tho

Theres 5 of you with little actionscript experience but java experience so why are you makeing the game in flash insted of java?

An FKer
    Theres 5 of us doing this (and a few more on the side), but only TWO have Java experience, and so we use flash because we all have some sort of experience in it, also because of graphics

Yesterday, we all got together with some friends for Thanksgiving dinner, but we had a small chat about this game. We have concluded to switch from using a clicked based system to a keyboard movement

This is to avoid the stress of learning pathfinding and facing the lagging issue of the game.

As for when the Beta comes out, we really dont know. The beta is going to be extremely simple, just testing everything we have. But we will put it out piece by piece to show it step by step

Anyways, thats all for now, thanks everyone for the help and comments. Please dont judge us too harshly since were all really new at this game making business in flash

Though I know many of you think we dont stand a chance, I just want to say I know your right , but were going to attempt regardless

Thanks again , and happy thanksgiving from Canada :P

Insignificant Member Joshman_123's Avatar
    How old are you guys?
    I have like, a gazillion posts on my other account.

I wana know that to... and i wana know how old are you joshman ??

Im prety shore i havnt told no one im 16 bin learning flash for 10 weeks actions script for 7....

Other laguages i know (coding)
    HTML, CSS, JAVA SCRIPT, and a tinny weeny bit of C# and C++ (my friend who is 16 to is a wizz at C++ he's made masses of game useing C++)
    92.7 Fresh FM for all your South Aussies - Doof Doof music FTW people!

A Flashkit User
    Hahaha, I know the signature in Osteel's name says 'kids', but in reality, were all 18 years old!

We've all been really good friends and known each other all our lives. Also, Osteel is my twin brother.

So yea, theres your answers =D

-Ostil-

Kewl... how long have you guys been programming or learning to program using those verious languages?

I recon im doing ok considering i didnt know squatt about nothing 1 year ago
    92.7 Fresh FM for all your South Aussies - Doof Doof music FTW people!

A Flashkit User
    In highschool, there were various courses in programming. Each grade focused on different languages. So for about 4 years during highschool, we learned different languages (some more then others).

There was also a Communication Technology course that we all took for two years. This focused on programs such as Flash, Photoshop, Lightwave and other programs. So we have some background in those areas.

So thats our little history of ourselves =D

-Ostil-