A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [FeedBack] Our attempt at something big!

An FKer
    As ostil said

I feared mentioning our ages as it would most likely take away from the little faith people had in us to accomplish such a project

But I guess we had to say it at some point :P

i'm only 20, 18's not bad. 12 is a different story, its always the 12 year olds that come around post once or twice about a MMORPG, and that pisses me off. You guys will do it, i have faith.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

An FKer
    ** GAME UPDATE **

Hey everyone, just putting up a rather basic update to the game. It has some more functions available which are obviously *NOT* near completion, but just thought you might like to check it out

www.carsahoy.com/game/betatest.swf

Whats new:
    - We have resulted to change the movement system from clickbased to using the keyboard. So this time use the keyboard to move around (8 directions)

- There is a small inventory system, try picking up the coins and the sword. You can equip the sword by clicking on it which will then plop into your equipment menu (only works if you pick up the sword second)
    The code for this is going to change as it is not a class yet and needs to be one to make things more organized

- There will be interactivity with the enviroment in this game. If you can interact with an object in some way, a red ! will appear above it. There will then be options in the "Actions box" (bottom left)
    We've only tested this with the signpost, so walk near the sign post and check it out , though there is a small bug that sometimes it doesnt appear. So if that happens just keep walking out and inside the grey area

Well thats pretty much it, remember we're new to coding in flash, so some methods we used might not be the best, so feel free to suggest

Also, things are beginning to get really crowded, we have done our best to organize everything. Im just wondering, is there anyway to quick find variables / movieclips / code without searching through everything?

Well thanks for everyones help, bring in the critism
    Last edited by Osteel; 10-11-2005 at 01:07 PM.

Flash, Mans greatest invention
    the find button on acitonscript window

2D/3D Artist & Programmer Dominicaninja's Avatar
    Wow I LOVE the background for this. Keep it up guys, we're rootin' for ya. Can't wait to walk around with a hero character. The little exclamation mark reminds me of Lost Kingdoms on Gamecube in case anyone's ever played that.
    Last edited by Dominicaninja; 10-11-2005 at 01:41 PM.

A Flashkit User
    Haha, well thanks for that vote of confidence. I created those objects (for the most part) with a bit of help from my twin Osteel. I am no artist, so I guess it goes to show you that even non artists can do some pretty good stuff...sorta...

I haven't heard of that game but we weren't trying to copy any game =P. All our ideas are original and so if they seem similar to another game, its just be coincidence =D.

Our hero character movement is still being made, and unfortunatly, our friend thats making it hasn't been working on it due to some assignments in university. But we'll get around to getting it soon enough =D

-Ostil-

A Flashkit User
    Okay, I've been wondering about this, and I think its about time I got an answer =P

How big should the size of this game be? I have the stage set too 800x600, but I dont know if that will do. Is there a good size that would be a 'proper' size for a rpg game like ours?

Yea, probably just a stupid question, but you never know =P

-Ostil-

I got a question, is this a Tile Based world(TBW)?

A Flashkit User
    No

-Ostil-

[EDIT: I just realized that our last update just now wasn't really an update, cuz half the things arn't working since we changed the character to keyboard movement...*sigh*]
    Last edited by Ostil; 10-11-2005 at 03:04 PM.

2D/3D Artist & Programmer Dominicaninja's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ostil
    Haha, well thanks for that vote of confidence. I created those objects (for the most part) with a bit of help from my twin Osteel. I am no artist, so I guess it goes to show you that even non artists can do some pretty good stuff...sorta...
    Impressive stuff especially since done by a non-artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ostil
    I haven't heard of that game but we weren't trying to copy any game =P. All our ideas are original and so if they seem similar to another game, its just be coincidence =D.
    Well nowadays it is almost impossible to make a 100% original game. It's how you present it that is most important I think. But the exclamation mark is a good start!

As for size of the game, it all depends on how much action will be taking place on the stage at any given time. If there will be creatures moving and background effects, it may start to slow down on 800 x 600. I would say try experimenting with the sizes until you find one where everything runs smoothly. I had to cut my game down to 550 x 400 to get it to run smoothly for the most part. So yea, as you progress in development, keep that in mind. Cause you don't want to design all the levels to work with 800 x 600 and then find out that it lags horribly later on down the line.

A Flashkit User
    Haha, yea thats what I was worried about. Which is why I presented my idea now before we ran into trouble. I suppose I'll shrink it now just for precautions but it shouldn't be to hard to shrink more later on.

Your right about original ideas. Everythings pretty much been taken. But I still view 'original' as your own imagination even though it might have been done without you know it. So I guess were going to have to try to make it as original as we can =P

Thanks for the advice

-Ostil-

hi just a suggestion why not have on rolloutside close the menu

what rpgs have you guys played b4 thats inspried you?
    Last edited by Dragonusthei; 10-11-2005 at 05:52 PM.

An FKer
    We were actually dicussing that, and we decided (or somewhat decided) to make the interface (menu etc) permantly there, so no 'open/close'

As to answer you question, Ostil and I (twin brothers) were inspired to create an Rpg after playing the Mmorpg Runescape and then stumbling the well flashed based graphic Mmorpg called Dofus

After testing some of our 'drawing' skills, we had the rather crazy thought of attempting such a feat ourselves

Upon asking a few of our friends who we felt would be a lot of help (because of Flash and Programming experience) we started on this ...

And it still needs a name ... haha

Hope that answers your questions

it'll be interesting to see a RPG fighting system implemented into this engine. I don't suppose you guys have thought that far ahead?
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Insignificant Member Joshman_123's Avatar
    Good work guys. I know you can make this happen, but why are you doing it in Flash? Don't you have previous experience in other languages?
    I have like, a gazillion posts on my other account.

i like the idea about interacting with the stuff around you and i noticed that when you go near the sigh post that the exclimation mark always aperes even if the other stuff dont...( i know some one else said that to but) why dont you make it when you get close enought a small circle or box appers next to it so people know were to stand... it much fix your problem about it not appering some times
    92.7 Fresh FM for all your South Aussies - Doof Doof music FTW people!

Quote Originally Posted by Joshman_123
    Good work guys. I know you can make this happen, but why are you doing it in Flash? Don't you have previous experience in other languages?
    scroll up i already asked him that

yep, just like mr_malee, i'd also rather see something else than just fancy art. Sorry to say this, but Without the graphics, it takes less than half and hour to make the features I see in the "beta" version. I would morely like to see a changing map (not just one screen like in the "beta"), the fighting_engine, huge interactive world (with talking NPC, items-that-wont-come-back-after-collecting-them, etc. ).

well from the games that have influenced him thats exactly what hes planning....

An FKer
    TeroLebe

I suppose for a EXPERIENCED flash game maker, yes you could probably out do us in what you make...
    This is a side project as well as our first game. So we cant just jump ahead and make an awesome game thats up to everyone standards. We obviously have to learn the basics and DO the basics before we can improve it...

Were getting to the bigger stuff, it just takes time...