A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [FeedBack] Our attempt at something big!

A Flashkit User
    Mr Malee

Yes we've thought of a battle system. Well actaully the programmer friend in this project has =P
    We decided to make it go into a battle system like Final Fantasy, but Joe (the programmer) has said that he has some new ideas that could make it interesting. So I'm looking forward to his ideas and we'll keep everyone up to date

Gloo Pot

Yes I know what you mean =P
    We didn't realize things suddenly didn't work once we changed the controls to the keyboard. So theres a lot of fixing to do as well as that ! mark we put in.
    That was just somewhat of a test, but were probably going to change that around to make it look more fancy =D

-Ostil-

If your programmers good enough then do it, otherwise your wasting your time. It'll get complecated very quickly. Good luck though
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

A Flashkit User
    Yes..wasting our time...we probably are. Guess we shouldn't try it then. Thanks for pointing that out. Good thing someone told us before we went too far with this...

Dammit were just trying this out! Of course it probably a waste or something. Of course its not going to be great. Of course you people who are so good at flash can do a lot better. But thats why we came to flashkit. So that we could get help from you people, not get shot down for our work..

Geez..

-Ostil-

You know what. You shouldn't. Why oh why does every single newb try to make a friggen RPG.

2D/3D Artist & Programmer Dominicaninja's Avatar
    Hey, don't let people dishearten you. It's just how they have come to act after having people say they have an awesome idea for a game, start it, and then just stop working on it completely. The fact is, it makes everyone skeptical about stuff like this. What matters is that you guys (the 3 of you working on the project) remain interested in your game and use all the "dreamcrusher" comments to motivate you to work even harder so you can prove them wrong. Actually, you guys are pretty lucky to have a team, I personally am used to working alone and sometimes it really would be nice to have someone there to keep the interest alive and to remind you why it is that you even started working on it in the first place. Good luck!

A Flashkit User
    I do recall you saying that you get pissed at those people trying to make RPG's...

Have you ever thought that you piss THEM off? I mean cmon, rpg's have all types of things needed for games. If us ****ing noobs can learn this, then we can make games.
    Why the hell do you oh so mighty flash people have to try to stop them from learning?

This is a friggan forum for help. Heres an idea...try helping people rather then trying to stop them from learning.
    Its not like this is our job or something, were doing this on our own ****ing time. We're already past failure beacuse we LEARNED stuff. We learned things, so as far as I can see, were successful. Or do we need to have an rpg to your standards to be friggan successful...

Geez, besides, this is for feedback, not to impress you people. At least some of the people here have taken time to give us feedback that would MAKE THE ****ING GAME BETTER. Not to try to stop us.

Damn you piss me off...

-Ostil-

PS. Thanks Domincaninga =D
    Last edited by Ostil; 10-12-2005 at 10:18 AM.

An FKer
    Well then ... I guess theres really no need to continue with this thread then, I suppose we can just post new ones up asking specific questions rather then having one thread like this

Anyways, for those who helped just saying thanks and good luck with your games

Well will continue on with ours and perhaps when it gets under way we'll come back with something people can look at and be somewhat impressed

But like Ostil said - you CANT fail if you already learned things in flash, which we have ...

Don't you want to create something original. Something enjoyable. Sorry for my outburst but you guys seem to assume that we haven't seen a thread like this before. I have very harsh judements when it comes to RPG games purley because of this factor. I don't see the point of putting up a BETA if your not willing to recieve harsh critiquing or you only expect help. My 82nd post was not an attack but merely some advice. I'll talk to you again when you post your first problem

Quote Originally Posted by Ostil
    We've all been really good friends and known each other all our lives. Also, Osteel is my twin brother.
    I keep trying to collaborate with my twin. He always gives up, and the project reaches a standstill.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Flash, Mans greatest invention
    Well i think you guys are doing great! stick at it.

Theres nothing wrong with making an RPG the reason so many people make them? Because there so dam successful on the internet.

I think if you Team organises its self for maximum efficence and all put alot into this you will get there.

An FKer
    Well currently there is no 'maximum efficiency' because of the sole reason this is a side project.

We are all either at work or school most of the day so cant always be working on this Rpg, which means it takes a long time to get something simple done

Also becuase of the fact we're new, it takes just as long which people dont seem to like ...

But anyways, we'll try - thanks for the vote of confidence ...

Flash, Mans greatest invention
    well if the work isnt gonna be put in then how can you except to make "the next big thing".

An FKer
    Oh the work is going to be put in, but it will take just a little longer since we have to learn as well as work / school

Also , Ostil and I are in the making of another Flash Game at the moment which is almost complete , a simple overheard racing game ...

We are commited to doing our best with this game and getting as far as we can get, and so far we havent faced any major issues or walls

Just wanted to remind you guys. DONT GIVE UP. If you say you haven't run into any walls or issues, then good, because that means you are carefully scripting the game and not rushing it. Its better to take it step by step, test things out, look back at your code, make any changes, and then continue. This way, you'll have a smooth running game with no errors or bugs. Well, what can I say, keep it up, but I do want to see some demos in the near future, we are all anxious here (well at least I am ).

I can't wait for the racing game you're talking about. Is your whole team working on it?

Activate
    Ah, I don't mind the criticism. It's true, it's all basic stuff, but I don't mind. We all have to learn the basic stuff first before we start on the complex stuff. I have to question those who question us though.
    yep, just like mr_malee, i'd also rather see something else than just fancy art. Sorry to say this, but Without the graphics, it takes less than half and hour to make the features I see in the "beta" version. I would morely like to see a changing map (not just one screen like in the "beta"), the fighting_engine, huge interactive world (with talking NPC, items-that-wont-come-back-after-collecting-them, etc. ).
    I'm not exactly sure what you were expecting when you downloaded this aptly named beta map. I'm assuming the following : You weren't expecting Blizzard to be producing this product; weren't expecting to find a 5 star, 10/10 game from a flash help forum; weren't expecting to see a complete world with tens of maps with every system working efficiently and effectively. So what did you expect? Sure a lot of the things could be done in half an hour for someone who's been working with Flash and other programs for many years. However, that's alright, I'm not worried about how long other people take to make this game, and the reason for that is because they're not making the game. Nor do they seem to be attempting to create anything else besides a negative energy. Maybe half the games out there die out because they don't have the organizational skills rather than the programming and art skills. You have to organize your time, set goals for yourself, and only then can you be successful. My goal for myself is to learn as much as possible in this beta map in order to apply that knowledge into something larger. So - this "30 minute map" is my own Flash 101 course, taught by myself and by those generous enough to share their ideas and knowledge. I, myself, am not building this game for everyone out there yet. I am building this beta to enlighten myself. To those who call us newbs, be cautious with your words. The bias you show me through your diction tell me that you have created much better and therefore something to marvel at. I would like to see your work, and then I can learn from it. I'm not giving it up yet, there's too much for me to learn at stake, but I appreciate the advice.
    My neuro-networks do not allow for me to feel emotion. So, to answer your question, no, I do not feel angry, or happy.

Activate
    To answer the question of who has inspired me through their RPGs, I enjoy the following :
    -Wild Arm series;
    -Final Fantasy series;
    -Chrono Trigger;
    -Dungeon & Dragon series and spinoffs (X-men legends, etc);
    -Starcraft;
    -Warcraft(s);
    -Everquest I/II;
    -World of Warcraft;

These are some of the RPGs that most inspire me. Where certain games lack in some areas, others pick up for it - allowing me to aspire from their mistakes and accomplishments.
    My neuro-networks do not allow for me to feel emotion. So, to answer your question, no, I do not feel angry, or happy.

In relpy to Jordok. I'm not that great at flash mate, i'm still learning as well, the difference betwqeen me and you (it seems) is that i slowly developed skills which would help me to make bigger and better games. Making an RPG is no easy feat, an RPG even for an advanced programmer is going to take a while. Anyway i'm sick of defending myself about this issue. Goodbye

Activate
    Ahh, so than you called me a newb out of reference of someone elses skill. I do not believe you have the authority to name me suchly then. I understand what you mean though. You want to take it slow, using your skills when needed to program something later on in life. That's alright, I can respect that, as I'm sure you can give me respect for my decision which is run through what I have learned, expand on what I've learned, and then applying that knowledge to make a finished product. You don't know that an RPG is going to take a long time. You believe you know because of hearsay. How would you know this to be true unless you try it? You don't have to be successful in the sense that your end result is a masterpiece, but no matter what you end up with more than you did when you began. Maybe we just need to agree to disagree, because it is making us both defensive as it would seem.

ok then, but just for the record i've tried to make an RPG myself and it aint easy.

Activate
    Alright then, so we're in the same boat almost. We've both started RPGs, and we both know they're ridiculously hard to keep up with.