A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Liquid effect buttons

BetaBop
    U'r a fu!!'n rockSTAR. I hope to use this to help some kids enjoy a more visual educational experience. So glad I didn't have to go the route of java aplets. Looks like your gonna have a lot of fun with the new F8/as.

Cool, I like the idea that you are using it to help educate kids so it was definitly a pleasure to help! I'm writing a kids education CD myself in my spare time as it is something I really enjoy doing.

So much to play with, so little time, I'm sure I've got some real paid work to do!
    www.lexicon-design.co.uk
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?
    If Vegetarians like animals so much, why do they eat all their food?

BetaBop
    "it will be a great day when education will be fully funded and the military needs to hold a bakesale to buy their next bomber" or somthing along those lines.

lol, don't get me started on politics. If only I ruled the world! hmmmm

sh*t! I'm giving away my plans, pretend you didn't read that
    www.lexicon-design.co.uk

BetaBop
    hey there.
    do you remember me. I have to say the script you offered was very nice and drew a great response however I ran into a problem with it, if you see this let me know if there is anything I can do. I placed the script a dozen times throught the file, non of them run at the same time and each uses the same circle graphic to perform the displacement, but after about 7 hours flash player or the exe file I am using crashes do to a lack of memory. Any idea why? Could it be the caching? Can I clear the cache?

BetaBop
    ok so, read this if you haven't already, will answer my problem, I sooo hope so.
    http://www.gskinner.com/blog/archive...flash_pla.html

ouch, thats a nasty suprise bug. Thanks for the tip off. Good luck finding a decent workaround for your project!
    www.lexicon-design.co.uk

BetaBop
    thx, but, poop, I still haven't been able to fix it, but if someone could offer some advice that would be great. And if you ever make the addition to the script holla at me lexicon.

If i fix it I'll post it...

In the example I provided the bitmap data is always reused, which according to Grant Skinner is one of the solutions to the problem. Have you coded it differently?
    If not, it may be a slightly different bug than the one posted by Grant.

The first thing I would check is that the circle mc's are actually being removed after they have finished playing through.

Another thing I might try is to not cache the circle mc's as a bitmap to test if that helps. That would at least eliminate/confirm your first thoughts that it is the cacheing causing the problem. I hope thats not the problem as that would cause me some headache in my current project.

Also check any event dispatchers/listeners etc that were being set but never cleared after use, thats the kind of thing that could potentially build up and cause a problem after a few hours.

I'm extremely busy at the moment, but I'll try and do some tests on it myself (maybe later tonight) to see if I can recreate the problem and hopefully find a solution.
    www.lexicon-design.co.uk

BetaBop
    well, I didn't change the code, and it doesn't help when I don't cache the mc1. I think because I call the map1 mc mutltiple times it is creating another problem, but just hypothetical, cause at this point I don't really know, but if I dispose of map1 all is fine, I just can't get it back again after I do that. Well just and FYI.
    Also if I run it on one image on one frame, it seems to be fine. or at least not substantial enough to cause a problem.
    hope the weather is nice in the UK
    ciao

Quote Originally Posted by tmoore935
    http://www.flutlicht.com/

Are the liquid buttons a flash 8 effect or can it be done with actionscript?

Bro. your site is sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Real26
    Bro. your site is sick.
    Guess I should say thank you

I am trying to do something like the background.jpg that I uploaded. But I have no idea on the best way unless its all a pure flash site.
    Last edited by tmoore935; 11-16-2005 at 12:17 PM.
    Any programming language is at its best before it is implemented and used.

Strange that that would fix the problem (and I am dubious that it has). Your fix has map1 declared within the function. Therefore, you should not really be able to dispose of it next iteration because it no longer exists in the function.

to illustrate...

Code:
    this.onEnterFrame = function()
    {
        trace(yak);
        var yak = "hello";
    }
    yak will always trace as undefined. Therefore by the same logic, you are not actually disposing the bitmap at all with your code, as map1 will too be undefined. Infact what you have posted, should technically cause the bug that you describe in previous posts!

My original file had map1 declared outside the function, therefore it was reused and so in theory (and according to gskinners blog report) should not have the problem that you described, and infact I was unable to recreate it (although I didn't use such a large bitmap size).

So, I'm a bit puzzled by this post.
    www.lexicon-design.co.uk

BetaBop
    your right, I was wrong, but it did work. It amped up the real memory very quickly but it stayed a constant, where as before it just slowly kept on increasing, however after an extended period it crashed do to the virtual memory being to large. I thought the same thing about your code, but it still crashes after extened playing periods. SO I don't really know what it is, but like I said I am applying it over and over again at different keyframes along the timeline to different MC's. I don't know, sorry to jump start that, I thought I had it and had tested it a couple of times, just not long enough and without attention to the virtual memory.

are you able to post any source files? I'm interested in getting to the bottom of it. You can email it to me if you can't post it to the forum (email addy is on my website).
    www.lexicon-design.co.uk

ok, I have found the problem emolen and I don't think it was related to any memory leak bugs in the player.

So if anyone is worried about the code I posted, I don't believe it was the cause of any memory leaks and it should be safe enough to use. Just make sure that you do not create many bitmap objects when only one is necessary!

Basically, you are creating new bitmap objects each time an image is displayed and never disposing of them when they are removed from the screen. I have a lot of applications running so it was only a matter of minutes before my computer choked. With the fixed version, although still using a fair amount of memory for a flash movie, it flattened out and seemed to stop increasing.

I'm emailing you a new version where only one bitmap object is created in the root of the movie. That is then used for the displacement filter which now acts on your slideshow movieClips rather than having a new instance of a bitmap object inside each of your image movieClips within the slideshow clips.

To get the displacement filter to work on a different movieClip as you display a new slideshow clip, I set the onEnterFrame function to work on the new slideshow, rather than create a whole new bitmap object each time.

You might want to think about lowering the quality of the blur filter even further (i left that to you to experiment with) because you are using a very large bitmap object. Hopefully that will help speed the whole movie up a bit.

Fingers crossed, that solves it for you!
    www.lexicon-design.co.uk

Hi all,

I'm also trying to get the same effect as the one we can see at http://www.kneib.biz/f8files/water_with_f8.html
    I found this thread very intersting about it, but still have a few problems with it.
    In particular, i wonder how the kneib.biz effect acts in order to keep the borders of the picture always clean and undeformed...The .fla Lexicon sent is pretty nice, but just misses this features imho. Could anyone point me out how to solve this or where to find a tutorial on creating this particular effect ?

you will get the border using the displacement map. I'm guessing that the image and bitmapData objects in that example are larger than the stage area, therefore you do not see the border glitches.
    www.lexicon-design.co.uk

BetaBop

check this one out

allows the riples to bounce off of the borders, really nice but I'm still using the one lexicon wrote. BTW, thanks for the fix, been bussy, but FYI I was trying to keep it so only every other image was given the effect and your fix just put it in the root. I wasn't able to traget the MC within movies, and if I put the script in the individual movie time lines, only running the script once, but using the mc1.onEnterFrame = doDisplace; at two or three different keyframes it ends up calling the bitmapData object to many times forcing the virtual memory to over load, so back to one in root for now, just so it works. Well that's it for now.
    Attached Files Attached Files

AGWD i n d u s t r i e s
    WOW That's so kool... I'd love to do that.... lol jus been reading ur post so i dnt wna be a party pooper nd have 2 ask how to do it all lol........ really kool if you could achieve that?...

What is the simplest way to add a symbol that contains an animation like a ripple.. to the cursor? If its not simple enough dw lol...

Andy