dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: AS2, OOP, Classes, Diagrams, Game Development

AS2, OOP, Classes, Diagrams, Game Development

I'm working on my AS2 and OOP skills. It seems that games are perfect projects for developing these types of skills. I found a tutorial online that helped me out a lot:

http://www.gotoandplay.it/_articles/...as2OOPgame.php

That tutorial was a very good drill and I want to find more like it. I want to be able to diagram my classes & their interactions etc. before I set out to start coding. I need more practice. If anybody has any suggestions or knows of any more tutorials similar to that one please hit me back. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks.

Learn Java, its a full OOP language. And syntax is similar to Actionscript. And i think there is a couple of books on AS2 and game development.

hooligan2001, are there any sites out there that have AS 2.0 custom made classes (mostly for games) just like Java and C++. Wouldn't it be nice if we got a little page up filled with game classes for others to download and use, that would be extremely helpful for many flash game developers don't you think?

I personally don't konw of any.
    Well, I did find this one at one point in time that had a whole bunch of Math classes (I need a Matrix class) and some other stuff. Also, there are some general "framework"-ish classes in AS2Lib (providing some useful debugging tools and a method for exception handling, and other such stuff).

If you have any specific types of classes in mind, post ideas.
    Also, I suggest making some re-usable classes while you develop your next game so that next time, you will have some stuff already done (though this is always a lot harder than it sounds).

AS2Lib site: http://www.as2lib.org/
    -Phil

Quote Originally Posted by d3s_inc
    I personally don't konw of any.
    Well, I did find this one at one point in time that had a whole bunch of Math classes (I need a Matrix class) and some other stuff. Also, there are some general "framework"-ish classes in AS2Lib (providing some useful debugging tools and a method for exception handling, and other such stuff).

If you have any specific types of classes in mind, post ideas.
    Also, I suggest making some re-usable classes while you develop your next game so that next time, you will have some stuff already done (though this is always a lot harder than it sounds).

AS2Lib site: http://www.as2lib.org/
    -Phil
    Yes. That is exactly what I am doing with my current game. The classes I have right now are so flexible that anyone can use them for their own games. For example I have a class

TileEngine (screenWidthInTiles,screenHeightInTiles,tileWidth, mapW,mapH);

You just input those values and it builds the tile map with your custom made tiles and it takes care of the scrolling with methods such as _x() and _y().

But classes I am looking for include A.I. with specific characteristics (that only move in 8 directions rather than 360 degrees like I have it). Yet it would be real nice to have everyone else tileEngine, or what ever you call them, classes in a central location for sharing.

So here are a list of classes we should have in an AS 2.0 Game Classes in my opinion:

TileEngine (that does basic tile scrolling)

SuperTileEngine (that does movieclip scrolling)

AI Engines (here we could have more specific classes)

MapTileEditorEngine

MatrixClass (which you mentioned already; methods like replace(i), add(matrix), etc)

FrameRateClass (maybe could be part of a larger class, maybe System Class)

TextClass (I hate having to set the properties for every dynamic text field i create using createTextField ( ), i want it done by default)

These are some classes I've always wanted. Sure I could make them myself, but it would be helpful to have a location for everyone else to share their own classes, maybe they could be useful for me.

I havent seen any AS2 sites like that. But i have never really searched for them. It seems like a nifty little idea and it wouldn't be that hard to set up a site for it either. If one was set up i would write a couple of classes for it.

Isnt gamepackage from Andre Michelle basically same thing?
    http://board.gamepackage.org/

real men (and women) use functional programming.
    none of this object crap

Hey, i did a little bit of searching, and found the Math Library website I had found before...

http://members.shaw.ca/flashprogramm...ASLibrary/wis/

Pretty good. It has lots of Math stuff (anything you would ever need for flash) and some of the basic data structures too.

<< i think he took a lot of Java classes and ported them, but saves us the work >>