A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Problem creating icons...????

Genesis of creative reflexes.. mysticpixels's Avatar

Problem creating icons...????

I have been involved in creating lot of icons for some application for our team of developers, in a application. Recently i developed passion towards vector art and it has been fascinating me ever since. Now, i designed some cool icons in corel designer 12....so that, i could import them into PS as eps in any flexible sizes.....Till then all were fine.....But after i imported and completed the icon sets, there was a problem waiting for me. The smooth edges of the graphic was killing the transparency in some icons. i had to save them in gif format and after doing so, the icons that were supposed to be transparent was developing a patchy white area since the edges were too smooth for the gif format to support transparency...

I would like to know if there is any technique to get rid of those ugly transparency whites, from the icons, apart from deleting each pixels in the edge of the designs..?????
    it is really frustrating to cut out those tiny pixels out....

Can anyone help me..????
    • Innovative Websites - (Flash/HTML-CSS)
    • Flash Intros/Animations
    • Interface/Layout Designing/Logo Designing

You could use PNG, much better at transparency anyway.

or use the burn tool to kill the fringe pixels. it all matters on what you're doing, and no visible example doesn't help much.

could be simply the fact that you're using a matte.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Matte..?? Sorry can you explain me much more about that..?

Thanks Gerbick....
    But i cant use png, as my developers need gif....and they are calling it dynamically from application.
    Now i would like to know about the matte, that you mentioned..Can you give a more convincing explanation on matte....Ill try it from the PS Help too.....

Cheers...

I don't see why I'd have to convince you of anything pertaining Photoshop. Wrong word used perhaps?

Anyway, since you're unwilling to experiment, allow me to explain this in detail.

Here is the original image, a couple of cubes with drop shadows I quickly made in Photoshop only, on a white background...

I used the default settings via Save to Web, it is located under the File menu, upper top left, and the white layer, the background was still visible.

Now, here's the same image with the white background removed, and no matte utilized:

Here are the settings via Save to Web that are necessary to duplicate this look:

Now, here is the same image with a white matte applied to it, as well as transparency...

See the difference? You'd get that result by using the following settings also within the Save for Web - again, located in the File menu, upper top left...

Now. I hope that "convinces" you of whatever you need convincing.

Thank you for your valuable time .....

Thank you for your valuable time gerbick....That explanation was a really elaborate one. Actually, by typing "convincing", i was not demanding that i need to be convinced... ..But i was trying to communicate with you that i would need a more elaborate explanation like the one u gave me..for me to understand...coz...i really meant to know the details of matte...

Thanks a lot gerbick....and i would like to appologise for the post that i had made earlier in graphics section that led to my staying away from FlashKit for a week...Sorry for that..

Cheers...

Oh wait. I remember that now.

Please don't tell me that I've been helping you when you stole the program.

Wise person just wouldn't answer that question.

http://www.good-tutorials.com

You might want to check that site out for a lot of these types of questions.

Thanx...