A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: preloader doesn't work

preloader doesn't work

Hello to everybody
    I have a little problem with a preloader I've used a lot of times. This time I have a site of about 90 Kb. I have a preloader that's always worked perfectly but now it doesn't. Nothing shows on the screen for about 10 seconds and when the preloader finally apears it's showing 70 % loaded. I don't understand what's wrong on the movie.
    Anybody can help me.
    I use flash mx.
    Thank you very much

my guess is you have probably got some linked items in the library! When you create linkage for a library item (such as a sound) for controlling with AS then it usually defaults to having the box "Export in first frame" as ticked - unticking it will however not load it for you but will allow the preloader to start from scratch - to use the sounds put them on stage somewhere in a frame that is never used, this way they will be loaded and are still linked for AS to use. Hope this helps.

Ali

site check spec: ADSL (UK), PC P4 3Ghz, 1024MB RAM, Res: 1440 X 900, Player: Flash 9, WinXP Home, Firefox 2
    dev spec: Flash 8 Pro, Flash MX 2004, Flash MX

Yes, you're right. I've some linked items, the content for a scrollpane component. But if I don't tick the "Export in first frame", when I reach the scroll in the movie the content does not appear. What can I do?
    I've also thought... Could I make a preloader in another movie that calculates the loading of the other big movie?
    Thank you very much for your help

as with the sounds suggestion the content that is being linked should appear on the stage somewhere for it to be loaded when the first frame box is unticked - put it on the stage in a frame that is never visited by the playhead containing stuff on the stage you need loaded from the library.

Odd workaround but I don't know of any other way that lets you load and link items without preloading them! It does work though. Good luck

site check spec: ADSL (UK), PC P4 3Ghz, 1024MB RAM, Res: 1440 X 900, Player: Flash 9, WinXP Home, Firefox 2
    dev spec: Flash 8 Pro, Flash MX 2004, Flash MX

Thank you very much, it worked like you said.
    Once again, thanks.