A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is there such as thing as BAD music? Yes.

Is there such as thing as BAD music? Yes.

I had a major debate with someone the other day. He was trying to tell me that there is no such thing as "bad" music. He says that it really is all subjective. For example, you may not like Mongolian music, but people from Mongolia sure do, so how can you say its bad?

Wrong I say! I think music can certainly be "bad". In other words, I think it takes more talent to make certain types of music than others.

For example, how can you compare the musical abilities between Pink Floyd and your average punk band? Sure there is good punk music but for the most part it's mindless jamming of the same 2 or 3 cords on the guitar. Hence, why most of it sounds exactly the same!!!

Seems to me there are certain countries or certain types of people that are more adept at making good music. The British for example, have so many great bands, it really is something amazing. They've consistently come out with great stuff for decades.

So, just because there are people out there that listen to "smooth jazz", does that make it good?

I don't think so!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Bad music? No.

Bad taste? Yes.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Quote Originally Posted by Visionray
    I had a major debate with someone the other day. He was trying to tell me that there is no such thing as "bad" music. He says that it really is all subjective. For example, you may not like Mongolian music, but people from Mongolia sure do, so how can you say its bad?

Wrong I say! I think music can certainly be "bad". In other words, I think it takes more talent to make certain types of music than others.

For example, how can you compare the musical abilities between Pink Floyd and your average punk band? Sure there is good punk music but for the most part it's mindless jamming of the same 2 or 3 cords on the guitar. Hence, why most of it sounds exactly the same!!!

Seems to me there are certain countries or certain types of people that are more adept at making good music. The British for example, have so many great bands, it really is something amazing. They've consistently come out with great stuff for decades.

So, just because there are people out there that listen to "smooth jazz", does that make it good?

I don't think so!
    i can win this debate with two words and a picture
    "william hung"
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

i also dont like pink floyd. id rather listen to the ataris, armor for sleep, matchbook romance over alot of the old music.

see, that doesn't make any sense.

How can someone have bad taste about something that isnt labeled inherently bad?
    It would only be bad taste in your opinion. I'm saying...yea they have bad taste because the music is bad.

surely if you look at music at its most basic there are certain compinations of notes which are dischordant, and are hence bad.

just because you dont like something dooesnt mean that it is bad. i dont like cheese, i think cheese is bad. some people like cheese.

i think youor just trying to impose your opinion on people because your stuck in a pattern where the only music that is "good" is the music you like. at this point your no differnt then the people who come on here and state that jesus is wonderful and if you dont love jesus you should start loving jesus and that all oother religions are bad.

Bad is a word created by humans for qualifying the taste over something.
    Music will always stay music.
    So for you it will be bad but in a waveform it cant be judge as good or bad it will stay as music.

You can judge that something is hot but for a another one it can be cold or anything else. We have decided what's cold or hot. In fact there's only hotter and no cold.
    I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

Good/bad are judgement calls.

Complex/simple is a comparitive construct.

Pink Floyd is more complicated than modern punk is true; modern punk is more complicated than banging the underside of a pan.

I still know people who would consider the pan noise 'better' than modern punk.
    Hush child. japangreg can do what he wants. - PAlexC
    That was Zen - this is Tao.

most music is bad...that's the sad reality these days.
    but i agree with PAC - it's really a matter of good taste/bad taste.
    my problem is that i think everyone (well, almost everyone) has bad taste.
    hence, there is a lot of bad music.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

On the other hand, the new Franz and Fiona Apple albums are pretty damn good.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

wow, I didn't think I'd be compared to coming on here trying to preach about Jesus.
    Silverx, I don't know you very well, but lighten up kid. I can't make head nor nail of that uber-babble you flung onto the screen during your latest spasmodic seizure.

And yes, cheese is bad. It's bad for you because it has lots of fat. It may taste good to you but it's bad for your health.

What I'm saying is...just because I can go over to a piano and start banging away at the keys...and I find it to be decent...doesn't make it any good. Does it? Compared to someone who actually knows music and can write music and string notes together...I do think there is a major difference.

Visionray is a music fascist.

There I said it.

i am too. i'm a self-proclaimed music nazi, and all my friends will tell you the same thing.
    one of my friends is a film nazi, another a gaming nazi...i'm the music nazi.
    and, as i said, most of you have bad taste in music...

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

I have a friend that is a game nazi. Not a gaming nazi, just a game nazi.

Whenever we play any kind of board game she goes nuts and takes control, makes sure we don't take more than 5 seconds each to make our turns etc...

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    ...Fiona Apple...

mmm...apple...I'd hit it.
    Last edited by hanratty21; 10-06-2005 at 01:19 PM.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Music makes one feel so romantic - at least it always gets on one's nerves - which is the same thing nowadays. The whole problem can be stated quite simply by asking, 'Is there a meaning to music?' My answer would be, 'Yes.' And 'Can you state in so many words what the meaning is?' My answer to that would be, 'No.'
    I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

Skill_Unabletospell_guy skill_guy101's Avatar
    Their is only 2 types of music, good music and bad music. soul, funk, jazz, rock, classical, romantic, country, fusion, punk, indie. In any style their is good and bad music. good music has feeling, it doesnt have ot be complexed or even plesent to the ear.
    surely if you look at music at its most basic there are certain compinations of notes which are dischordant, and are hence bad.
    dischordant doesnt make them bad, it can add so much to a song! your obviously not a jazz fan, or a clasical fan, or...infact most styles of music use dischordent chords in the right context. even E13 can sound beautiful.
    I like good music.

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21
    mmm...apple...I'd hit it.
    I'd go bobbing for it.

theres a whole lot of issues that comes with that apple.