A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shopping cart?

shopping cart?

Hi peeps...since so many people here are experts in all kinds of webdesign areas...i was wondering...whats the best way to go about making a shopping cart website. I have an uncle that has a small business, and whats to start selling online......is it complicated? i imagine it to be! making it so its safe, so people buy with credit cards etc?...sounds so messy...i guess also, updating the site has to be made easy.....

i was told that java was a good method.....i did java at university...but, ufff i hate it!

anyways, it will be interesting to read what you people suggest...thanks!

GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

OS-commerce always has good reports from what i hear.

Complicated?..yes

cost money?...yes.

lol yes! old!
    2001!
    i hope there are better technologies and methods to use today!

Spartan Mop Warrior Loyal Rogue's Avatar
    Start with Paypal.
    It's the easiest (and cheapest fees) plug and play shopping cart buttons to add to a website and customers don't need a paypal account to purchase anymore.
    ::
    "Just go make web and stfu already." - jAQUAN

"Twitter is a public display of verbal diarrhea that comes out in small squirts." - Gerbick

that would be the best...BUT i am in chile...and paypal is non existant!
    but thanks...if you can think of any other way, i would like to know

most hosts that have cpanel have a cubecart addon use it.. easy to use connects to paypal and other proccessors.. best way to go imo to start out

Have a look at Miva.

Not the cheapest but you can build a professional looking store and easily maintain/update it via a web based system. The new Miva stores are precomplied so load time is minimal.
    Freebies:
    Sound Loops | Sound Effects | Images | Code Pigs | 6ood coff33

The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.

thanks that looks very interesting..seems like it has some nice features..
    any others like that? i am not saying money is not an issue, but he is willing to invest in some software if it will make it safe and easy to maintain...

xcart then if your willing to pay

You could develop it yourself using PHP or a similar language, making sure you encrypt sensitive data, do not store credit card information on your own server (instead, let a credit card processing company do it), that the access information (such as FTP) is secure, and that you use SSL.
    I really enjoy forgetting. When I first come to a place, I notice all the little details. I notice the way the sky looks. The color of white paper. The way people walk. Doorknobs. Everything. Then I get used to the place and I don't notice those things anymore. So only by forgetting can I see the place again as it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Designs
    You could develop it yourself using PHP or a similar language, making sure you encrypt sensitive data, do not store credit card information on your own server (instead, let a credit card processing company do it), that the access information (such as FTP) is secure, and that you use SSL.
    what would be the advantages of building it myself, rather than one i purchase...other than the cost?

none... unless you've developed e-stores before. It's time consuming and requires decent knowledge of e-commerce development. Personally I wouldn't recommend reinventing the wheel. There is software out there thast has been tested over time for security, usability, performance, etc.

Unless you have spare time and a good understanding of the technologies involved, I wouldn't bother.

Besides some of these web based applications give the freedom to manage yor store from anywhere anytime. There's some excellent affordable software out there.
    Freebies:

The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.

You knowing the in's and out's of the program, you 100% custom tailoring the program to your needs...that sort of thing.
    I really enjoy forgetting. When I first come to a place, I notice all the little details. I notice the way the sky looks. The color of white paper. The way people walk. Doorknobs. Everything. Then I get used to the place and I don't notice those things anymore. So only by forgetting can I see the place again as it really is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultima Designs
    You knowing the in's and out's of the program, you 100% custom tailoring the program to your needs...that sort of thing.
    I agree with that, although the software I pointed out (Miva) gives pretty much full flexibilty on 'look & feel' plus dozens of customized modules which will make your life easier in the long run.
    Freebies:

Network Guy
    osCommerce or xCart (derived from the same code base, I believe).

Custom programming in PHP is fine.

I'd avoid MIVA at all costs.

My site uses MIVA take a look, hey buy a video or shirt! www.http://www.aquacultureusa.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff2A
    osCommerce or xCart (derived from the same code base, I believe).

Custom programming in PHP is fine.

I'd avoid MIVA at all costs.
    Why would you give MIVA such a ringing endorsement?
    Just curious as I know it's one of the better known and widely used pay carts.

Personally I've already re-invented the wheel a couple times.

Because I didn't know what else to use and everybody talked about other solutions but it was just talk, I had to get the site done – so I used MIVA. Redo my site and I'll start endorsing you!

I was asking Jeff2A why he felt that way about MIVA not you, thus the quotation.
    Quote Originally Posted by montara1
    Redo my site and I'll start endorsing you!
    Redo your link and I might be able to look at your site.