but also would love to code them.
I have abbilities in all the areas you just mentioned flashguru. Where is my great web design job?
I guess I have landed a job at the biggesty web design company in my town last summer but that is not much to brag about. I live in a small but not to small of a town. I think I would just like to have a site to run like flashkit.
Anyway I am just trying to say knowledge is not all you need. Location, Location, Location, sometimes : )
How many pots of coffee can you drink in a day? And at what time does the day truly start? 10am 11am 12pm or 1pm with a knock off time of 3pm? If you can answer these questions right then you can be a web designer. Regards, Bill
Is it truly possible to know a package or language or even program inside and out, with all the updates, patches, upgrades, extensions, buyouts, mergers, stock options, profanity, homeless, and presidential scandales going on?
Ok well you get what I am saying. I just thought I would throw in a couple extras.
P.S. I prefer Mountain Dew.
[Edited by Athlon on 07-05-2000 at 10:04 PM]
ok on the skills that you will need.
whats the use in knowing all of those when you cannot perform or design for ****
if you can design something but you have no formal skooling for it and you taught yourself then you have a good chance cause it shows employers that you have self initiative. but you must show that you can actually do it and design the objective given
The key to great employment is versatility. I started out as a network administrator and am now moving up the webmaster role. The secret is to know a little of everything. If you and when you know that then you will be able to get a fix on your style but still be able to say, yeah i messed around with photoshop and fireworks and paintshop.
As a flash rookie I am leaning more and more to just flash and photoshop, I envision the web as interactive tv and flash is the tool to get it there. What i lack in technical scripting knowledge i make up in creativeness. To me it is an artform that is in you and waiting to come out. Don't copy everyone else...use your own vision to project GVL..global visual language....do that and you will succeed because you will be original and that my friend is the name of the game...
Yeah but will that good advice make you tons of money?
I believe that 90% of the web design business is just being known. The other 10% is ability. I see alot of talent here at flashkit but how many people here have the portfolio of say Hillman Curtis or even Razorfish. Can you live on just web design alone? I think not. People have a misconception that a website should not cost that much money. Really, how can you sell your art for less that 1000 bucks. How much money do think a good web designer can bring in? Realistically, how many websites can one person handle? 5? 10? I am seeing this dilema as I try to do my own web design co. I would have to offer another service like networking in order to compensate, hire java coders for intricate e commerce apps and a certified webmaster and a sales guy. Once all this is in place, I can think of taking the market by storm and become a local hillman curtis type, or even like Flashguru. It is all marketing marketing marketing. I am sure you are in the middle of something like this eh Steve?
The alternative is to work for a cutting edge type firm like razorfish....then you are making big bucks.
"one day i discovered flash, the next day the world discovered me." me.
If you know those programs, your time will come, I would suggest, first inserting a Pepsi Machine directly next to your computer, integrating a USP Hub/Port, then everytime you hit your pause/Break key, your CD ROM/Cup Holder will pop open and a cold Mountain dew wil slide out directly into your holder. This is the method that I use especially when helping people on Flashkit.com. If you spend time here and get to know everyone maybe MARK FENNELL will grant you the coveted title of Moderator. Cheers, Steve