dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: XML and Variables

XML and Variables

Greetings!

I am developing an application in Flash MX. Each frame of my MAIN MOVIE is a screen. Each frame calls out to an XML doc for content (text, graphics, etc) which is loaded into the appropriate movieclips that make up each screen. I am new to XML, but I have been able to get everything to work as planned.

My XML is relatively simple, for instance:

PHP Code:
    <screen>
    <
    title>Welcome</title>
    <
    text1>blahblahblah</text1>
    <
    text2>yaddayadda</text2>
    </
    screen
    In the above example, I would add AS to frame 1 declaring variables for "title", "text1", and "text2". However, frame 2 may call an XML doc that looks like this:

PHP Code:
    <screen>
    <
    title>Lesson One</title>
    <
    subtitle>blahblah</subtitle>
    <
    text1>yaddayadda</text1>
    </
    screen
    I would go to frame two and add AS to declare these variables ("title", "subtitle", and "text1"). The point is that every frame in my movie is calling a different XML doc with different nodes (and a different NUMBER of nodes...) requiring different AS on every frame.

My question is, is there a "universal" code that would automatically 1) find the number of child nodes in a given XML doc, 2) declare each one of those nodes as variables, and 3) set the variable value to its nodeValue?

I can ususally find answers to my questions on this site, but I haven't been so lucky with this one (more than likely I've come across my solution already, but didn't recognize it). Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

N
    Last edited by tupps; 10-09-2005 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Added code tags around the code so that the xml was visible

Yes you can, the xml documents childNodes are an array. Just loop (for loop) through the array declaring variables as you come across different node names, then assign the nodeValue as the value to the variable.

Thanks

Luke
    Flash-XML FAQ
    http://www.tupps.com/flash/faq/

Thanks for the insight, tupps!

N