dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Best Way For Video On The Web?

Best Way For Video On The Web?

This is pretty much open to your opinion.

I'm working on a company web page that wants to show off their videos, ranging in 30sec spots to a few minutes. I was wondering what anyone thought the best kind of video compression and/or file type to use to get these videos viewed om the web best. This is open to anything, but narrowed to best quality at a suitable file size, of course smaller the better.

Quicktime? WMV? Flash video? Mp4? another? what would you go with?

Plug-ins to use? etc?

Thanks.

Give me the name Tink!!!!!!!
    The best way to output video on the web is undoubtably using Flash. Thats why google have chose Flash to deliver video.

The Flash player is installed on more machines than Quicktime, Windows Media Player or Real Player.

Also if you using Flash 8 your video can be half the size of what it would have been in Flash 7, or twice the quality and the same size using the new VP6 codec.
    Tink

Give the name username Tink!

The current user that has this name aint been online for absolutely ages.

Tinks Blog

I've had a fair amount of success with the h.264 codec using quicktime 7. I've produced a 3 min video at 360x288 down to 4.5MB with quite good quality (there's a fair amount of movement in the video too). I've found the sorenson 3 codec (built into quicktime) to be not as effecient. Only downside with h.264 is that end users will have to have quicktime 7. I'm running a G3 ibook and the video plays fine.

i saw a video using flash the other day and it looked like crap. the above however are the complete opposite. that was fast loading time. am i correct in assuming you import the video into flash frame by frame when using a 3 minute video on the web? or is there a much simpler process??
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

Give me the name Tink!!!!!!!
    am i correct in assuming you import the video into flash frame by frame when using a 3 minute video on the web?
    convert the video to an FLV file and load it dynamically. It will then use progessive downloading or you could use it in conjunction with the Flash Com server to achieve true streaming.
    Tink

Give the name username Tink!

The current user that has this name aint been online for absolutely ages.

Tinks Blog

I Kno!!!! Upload The File Into Ur Ass *****, Then Maybe It Will Work Better

is it okay if i use your mom's instead like usual? i get the best compression from her.
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio