A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 8-bit drawing

14 year old W.I.Z!

8-bit drawing

Hello, I usually do actionscript, but I was wondering how to draw in 8-bit style. I've tried it using the square tool, which takes forever. Can someone help me with how to draw in 8-bit style?
    -Thanks
    Excuse my horrible spelling....you can blame my English teacher for that!

Square tool???

Use a painting program (such as PaintShop Pro or Gimp) where you can zoom in to extreme detail and use the pen tool to draw pixel by pixel. Then if you want to image to look 'blocky' turn the image into a gif and enlarge it to desired size.

i'm using photoshop and disable any smoothing option. i know that there are specific programs to create pixel art, but i never really tested them too much...
    alternatively, you might want to create such an application in flash (using a method similar to the tile based map editors) and take a screenshot of the result (i think that flash 8 allows you to turn a flash window into image directly, but i'm not sure and didn't document on that one)

14 year old W.I.Z!
    well...marmotte, i got the idea from the nice work you did in that tutorial you have on www.gotoandplay.it . I thought that tutorial was great except, it didn't work in Flash MX 2004 PRO when i published it to see if it will work for it. But then I liked the art, and I wanted to learn how to do it. The tutorial is here: http://www.gotoandplay.it/_articles/2003/10/zelda.php . Hey, marmotte, i've gotten your ICQ number, so get on sometime soon, :P.
    -Thanks for replying guys!
    Excuse my horrible spelling....you can blame my English teacher for that!

Yup, use paint, or the pencil tool in photoshop... there is a whole huuuuge thread here in the games forum about pixel character creation... search for it.