A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash 8 Video Navigation Cue Points and Sorenson VP6 plugin

Flash 8 Video Navigation Cue Points and Sorenson VP6 plugin

OK...so does anyone know how to add navigation Cue points outside of the Flash video compression tool??

Sorenson's VP6 plugin does a much better job of the compression, but the keyframes don't go through.

Flash allows me to put the keyframes in, but it sucks big time trying to place precise key-frames as you can't specify a certain time, and you're stuck using the little drag-button to try and get to the place you want...

Is there some other way?

Can't use Actionscript cues as I need them to be Navigation-type cuepoints for very specific points in time...

Give me the name Tink!!!!!!!
    import mx.video.*;
    my_FLVPlybk.contentPath = "http://www.helpexamples.com/flash/video/cuepoints.flv"
    var cuePt:Object = new Object(); //create cue point object
    cuePt.time = 2.02;
    cuePt.name = "ASpt1";
    cuePt.type = "actionscript";
    my_FLVPlybk.addASCuePoint(cuePt); //add AS cue point
    // add 2nd AS cue point using time and name parameters
    my_FLVPlybk.addASCuePoint(5, "ASpt2");
    Tink

Give the name username Tink!

The current user that has this name aint been online for absolutely ages.

Tinks Blog

THanks,

I knew that, but the problem is that creates AS cue points...

I need NAVIGATION cue points, which you can't seem to create with AS!!!

And the AS cuepoints can range greatly in time as much as a second!!!

ALSO, you can't navigate to them with AS because it might miss the point by a fair amount...AND ...

If you try and do it manually with AS you can only navigate to the nearest keyframe...

Give me the name Tink!!!!!!!
    sorry i don't understand what a NAVIGATION cue point is. surely as long as you can add cue points and detect them that is all you need. you can then tell you movie what to do.

your never going to be able to animation to anything perfectly as, as you say it'll go to the nearest keyframe.

the alternative is to split the video up or use seek to play from the timeframe you want.
    Tink

Give the name username Tink!

The current user that has this name aint been online for absolutely ages.

Tinks Blog

In flash 8, when you use the built-in encode you can add two different types of cue points from there... either and EVENT cue point or a NAVIGATION cue point.

Within FLash 8 with AS you can only add AS cue points.

When using Navigation cue points or event cue points at encoding time, they act as EXACT cue points, whatever listener or AS you are calling from within flash will react with exact precision to any embedded cue point. Any cue point that comes during run-time (such as AS cue points) act without the precision.

So, if I place Navigation cue points during the encoding process I can use the
    seekToNavCuePoint() and it will go to that EXACT location. Also, let's say I want to PAUSE the video once a Navigation or EVENT cue point is reached using a listener...once that exact cue point is reached it will pause, or trigger any AS that I want it to run...

You can't do that with AS cue points...period. Not with any precision.

I have no problem adding the NAV and EVENT cue points with the encoder, it's just not EASY or very precise because of the interface (the cue points are precise like 00:00:02:106, you just can't get very accurate with the crappy little timeline buttons) So I want to know if there is a better 3rd party tool that does the level of encoding that Flix 8 or Sorenson does, but with the ability to add those cue points at encoding time!

I understand about splitting etc, have done that all the time in the past, but it seems like I shouldn't HAVE to anymore, with these two new types of cue points!!!

This probably doesn't help much, but I found out today that in the Macromedia encoder you can move the playhead as little as .001 seconds at a time by clicking the scrubber and then using the arrow keys.

Rdoyle...that REALLY helps!!!! Wicked find dude!!!!!!

Sorenson's VP6 plugin does a much better job of the compression
    And now they want another $200 just for that?

Yeah seems a little ridiculous considering it doesn't give you the functionality you need for embedding cue Points etc...

That's why I posted the question before running out and spending!!!

Flix

has anyone tried the Flix Flash 8 encoder?

how is it?

It does a good job of encoding...similar to the upgraded Squeeze, but again, you can't add your cue points or anything like that, so if that kind of thing is important for your product, then you're stuck using the embedded one-pass only encoder.

If you don't need to embed those types of cue points, or your project works ok with just using AS cue points, then either the Flix or Squeeze product will give you better quality video, AND smaller file size...