A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 2006 Flash Kit Calendar :: DISCUSSION THREAD

FK'n Elitist Super Mod EVPohovich's Avatar

2006 Flash Kit Calendar :: DISCUSSION THREAD

Here's the deal. We are putting together a 2006 Calendar, to be sold through CafePress.com, and if you want to be a part of it you need to throw down.....BIG TIME! There are only 13 spots available, 12 months and one cover. All entries will be submitted to a vote of our memebers and the top 13 artists will be selected for printing in the calendar. The number one voted artist will grace the cover of the 1st Annual Flash Kit Calendar.

Remember bragging rights for the entire year are at stake here, so dig deep and submit only your best work. Everything is welcome, Illustrations, Photography, Battle Imagery, Manipulations, anything as long as you think it can stand up to the best of the best.

Deadline for submissions is Friday November 18, 2005 at midnight GMT.
    Voting will begin on Monday November 21, 2005 at midnight GMT.
    PLEASE READ ALL OF THE FOLLOWING RULES

Please remember that in addition to the FLASHKIT.COM SUBMISSION TERMS OF USE and the Jupitermedia AUP Agreement that you agreed to upon signing up here at Flash Kit the following rules will apply.

By submitting any file to enter this competition you not only agree to the previously noted Terms of Use and AUP Agreement, but also to the following:

• All entries must be your own work. Do not submit work of another artist. Also, make sure that you have permission to use stock photography, and give credit.
    • Contest is open to all members of Flashkit.com, Including Moderators, Super Moderators, and Administrators. This is a no holds barred competition and we will be moderating it very closely.
    • Image Criteria:
      • Image Resolution: 300 DPI Minimum
      • Image size: 11" x 8" with 1/2" bleed (11.5" x 8.5" total size with bleed)
      • Photographs, Manipulations, Battle Images, Animations, Illustrations, etc are all welcome.
      • Usernames, Tags, and Months of the Year are not allowed on ANY image.
    • Only one entry per person will be printed. Submit as many entries as you wish, but as we only have 13 spots in all fairness only one can be printed in the calendar.
    • Entries must be submitted in two (2) ways:
      • E-mail the full size .jpeg to me, AND Planet - No funny business going on here.
        maxdriver1 [at] gmail [dot] com and webmaster [at] flashkit [dot] com
      • Post a .jpg in the Submissions Only Thread that is only 600 px wide
    • NO WHINING This is my opinion, but I believe that Flash Kit has some of the best artists in the world in it's membership. I have been part of many inter-forum battles and it is easy to see that talent. Bring your best, but do not get upset if you do not get voted in. I will not tolerate it. This is all in good sport, please remember that.

This is gonna be HUGE, so please follow the rules. It would be a shame to get disqualified for not doing so, and I will disqualify anyone if they do not follow the letter of the above rules. If you have questions, post them here.

Note: All images are subject to approval from Flashkit.com.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by EVPohovich; 10-18-2005 at 07:38 PM.

AWESOME idea.
    :fearless gets to work:

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless
    AWESOME idea.
    :clicky gets to work:

Quote Originally Posted by Fearless
    AWESOME idea.
    me too.

So it starts, eh?
    Last edited by Veniogenesis; 10-17-2005 at 06:08 PM.
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

great idea...i love it. I will post no matter what my chances are.

Best. Idea. Ever.

I'm really curious how a vote is going to work though. hypothetically, there could be 182 entries. the only way i see the voting work is by force ranking, and VB doesn't support that. if you can only vote for one image, we could have 5 entries with 100 votes each and the rest with none. thoughts?

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Won't approval ranking spread across multiple threads work? Or are you saying vB doesn't have approval rating?

Quote Originally Posted by nordberg
    Best. Idea. Ever.

I'm really curious how a vote is going to work though. hypothetically, there could be 182 entries. the only way i see the voting work is by force ranking, and VB doesn't support that. if you can only vote for one image, we could have 5 entries with 100 votes each and the rest with none. thoughts?
    Thanks guys!!

as many entries as there are they will be voted on. If there is a tie we will have a tie breaker. I do not foresee this happening though.

Time to get your game on people!

Quote Originally Posted by nordberg
    Best. Idea. Ever.

Does the voting have to be through vB? Maybe a different polling system should be set up for this special occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by gesteves
    Does the voting have to be through vB? Maybe a different polling system should be set up for this special occasion.
    The only problem with that is ensuring the fairness of voting. People who vote have to be FlashKit members, and members must not be allowed to vote more than once. That will require some major scripting.

Quote Originally Posted by gesteves
    Planet has assured me that we have everything in hand. I have been working on getting this approved for over two weeks now. JUST GET CREATIVE!

I think it would be cool if some of the guys in the photography forum put together collages of a couple of high res photos and submitted them as an entry. Maybe you should post something over there as well.

I just put up a submission. I like where this may go. But I don't know how this calender will look, I mean how can you submit an animation for a print job? jst seems funny. This would be an awesome photography forum thing but idk how anything else would look, but we shall all see in time I guess
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

<! FlaSHy -->
    I'll take a shot at this not sure how good it will be but nontheless I'll try....

Nice first submission WannaBe_80z I like it.

wannabe, that's Niagara Falls correct? Nice shot. I've seen a few of those that look very similar in my job (we've actually used them in print before). Very professional shot!

It might be better to judge the smaller jpgs and only get the winners/finalists to email the high res tiffs, unless of course you like downloading for hours waiting for that one important email!

do you need the tifs in cmyk and what font is the Flashkit logo in?
    www.lexicon-design.co.uk
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?
    If Vegetarians like animals so much, why do they eat all their food?

yeah I think small jpegs are a good idea, and then the winners email you the .TIFF's.

Thanks for the comments, more to come I hope.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Don't worry about the FK logo. The winning images will have a black bar at the bottom with the Flash Kit logo, artist's name, and maybe title. Actual print size is 11 x 8.5 inches and as long as you stick to the guides outlined above you images will not me covered.

You will be voting from the 600 px wide .jpgs, I want all submissions sent to me and Planet in .tiff formats suitable for printing. CMYK will work nicely.

The two submissions do NOT meet the submission requirements. I am going to be extremely strict with this contest.
    Follow the rules or your image will be disqualified.

The size? Better?

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]