dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: um...sparkle?

um...sparkle?

ok just watched the video at moock.org..

and very very interesting....if life wasn't complicated enough! As a designer/developer, how should I plan for the next 2 years? theres only so much time in the day, and its not possible to be an expert in everything, so whats the best to focus on? I'm about to upgrade to Flash 8, and get into that, but with sparkle coming out...

whats peoples views on this?

oh, and thats another thing.....sparkle does 3D easily.....

Flash, Mans greatest invention
    Sparkels gonna suck!

I try to watch the video i get MS exploer pop ups that crash my pc every time iExplorer opens and Windows media player freezing up during the video. Ms have not made a good program yet why would they start now?

No ms program is even updated for than every 3 years? so that means for every 3 versions of flash bought out one of sparkel will.

Sparkel does 3D easy so what? does sparkel do 3D better than maya? or 3ds max no so why would we use it for 3D its like using ms word for webdesign just cause it can dont mean you should

sparkle seems to do a lot of stuff (trying to do texture mapped 3D in real time Flash has always been a nightmare) a lot more easier then Flash can do it, which means time savings in development, but i'm not saying here that sparkle is better then Flash or visa versa, I'm just saying as a prediction which is the better to get deeply involved with, as its just not possible with the amount of languages (php/xml/as 3.0) or devopment software around to be an "expert" in all.

Isnt Sparkle very much only for "whatever the next version of Windows is called"? While Flash is much more cross-platform tool.

What answer would you expect to get on a Flash forum? Go ask this on a Microsoft developer forum and see what they say.

There's a lot of confusion around these things, but Microsoft did announce that they'd be releasing some plug-ins for Mac for some of this stuff. I don't recall if it was Sparkle in particular.

From what I've seen, Sparkle strikes me as more of an application builder than an animation tool (though it can do animated things, like the difference between Flex and Flash).

All that being said, I'd recommend against putting your eggs in any single basket, Microsoft or Macromedia's. When Sparkle comes out see if they have a demo version and if you like it, by all means use it.

looking at the 1 hour video on that site, when I look at sparkle I see things that i do in Flash, but just better designed, and easier to do. Tonypa: you say its a windows thing which it is, but I basically design my flash for windows (like i suspect most Flash users), not for tiger or anything else Mac related, as most of the time i've seen Flash on the Mac, it either doens't run correctly or just as slow as hell, so thats not really an argument i don't think. I love how with sparkle everything is integrated, but I also love Flash. I think the end result will be we will use which is better at whatever, like the 3D app market...3D MAX is mostly used by games companies, maya by tv/film companies...their both 3D apps but have slight differences that make one better at something then the other, the same will probably happen with microsoft and adobe products, unless one of them makes a mistake or brings out something with a wow factor that makes everyone want to forget the other product.

Quote Originally Posted by Boombanguk
    looking at the 1 hour video on that site, when I look at sparkle I see things that i do in Flash, but just better designed, and easier to do. Tonypa: you say its a windows thing which it is, but I basically design my flash for windows (like i suspect most Flash users), not for tiger or anything else Mac related, as most of the time i've seen Flash on the Mac, it either doens't run correctly or just as slow as hell, so thats not really an argument i don't think. I love how with sparkle everything is integrated, but I also love Flash. I think the end result will be we will use which is better at whatever, like the 3D app market...3D MAX is mostly used by games companies, maya by tv/film companies...their both 3D apps but have slight differences that make one better at something then the other, the same will probably happen with microsoft and adobe products, unless one of them makes a mistake or brings out something with a wow factor that makes everyone want to forget the other product.
    You can use Sparkle over Flash.

Just don't expect to find many clients.

See clients like it when Mac users can access their site. I know it's silly, but.....

theres a difference between users being able to access a site and users being able to run the site as well as it does in windows

Honestly, just keep an eye on it and keep moving forward with Flash 8 and subsequent releases, and move to Sparkle if/when the time is right.

"Sparkle" and the XAML markup it is based on (Look up "Avalon") depends largely on the next release of Windows (Vista). Not only must Vista become established, but XAML and its applications must then become properly entrenched, and the editor applications will need at least a couple revisions before they perform up to snuff for most of us to really get good productivity out of.

By then, for all we know Flash itself might even support XAML.

It's too soon to start shouting that the sky is falling.

I thought Flash 8 would dominate the web development cycle for most companies for the next 3 years, but after seeing sparkle im not so sure anymore, the key to me is the integration of it with vista, which i'll be surprised if Flash (any version) does as well, having said that, i'm a big fan of Flash, so I hope they have big plans for Flash 9.

I know that Sparkle is supposed to be a big part of offline Vista stuff. Does anyone know where it falls into place with stuff like DirectX and openGl? Is it supposed to act as another alternative or is it more like a Flash that relies on one of those for support?

As for the compatibility debate, I'm sure Linux people will be able to view Sparkle stuff very soon after it's released (if it's not a dud) but it will come late for mac, if ever.