A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Using a Sound MC to sync sound

Using a Sound MC to sync sound

I'm sorry if this has been discussed in other forums. (In fact, I've read a few of them already)

My problem is lip sync (or audio syncing in general) with LONG cartoons....MIne's a beast (something pushing 30 mins.) and as you can well imagine, the lip syncing gets waaaay off by the end. And of course, its still set to stream.

I've read that you can put a dummy movie clip every 1000 frames or so and I hope this can help, but I'm not entirely sure how to do this.

Currently the cartoon is divided into something like 30 different scenes so I'm wondering if this may be a factor. I wouldn't think so, but who knows with Flash.
    But back to the dummy MC.... Would this be just one sitting somewhere on say, its own layer for the duration of the cartoon....only to be "replenished" every 1000 frames? I'm hoping that this MC doesn't just control one piece of audio (after all, there's alot of dialogue, music, and sound effects flying around in this cartoon) Because if so, I'd theoretically would have to create hundreds of sound objects. Would this Sd. object control every sound?

I know this sounds vague, but I'm relatively new when it comes to actionscript. So I apologize for the basic questions.
    Thanks to any info everyone.

I am unfamiliar with the notion of a "dummy" movie clip. Please explain.

Same here (about the "dummy" movieclip)

But the problem your facing is the same problems the whole flash world seems to be facing when it comes to long movies.

Flash tends to get out of sync when it goes beyond... say 15 or 20 min. Even though all your sounds may be set to sync. Sorry, i do not know the way of getting around this unless you use different movies. Then just load the movies on to the flash using loadMovie.
    Artificial Memories v0.9.2b
    "Preserving life's precious moments and making new ones"
    © 2009 MemoryCorp - A Walmart company

Quote Originally Posted by iaskwhy
    Syncing isn't perfect, and doesn't always work, especially with different sounds on one timeline. If you have one single sound going the whole 4800 frames, then set that one to Stream and the others to event, unless your using a controller with a scrubber.

You can also try adding a dummy sound object in frame 1;

so = new Sound(this);

Then every 500 frames or so;

so.play();

This seems to help. I have used it on upwards of 11,000 frame syncs.
    I read this in another post and I'm not entirely sure what IAskWhy meant exactly.
    I'm guessing that you add a MAIN (and empty) layer on top of the whole timeline and insert this sound object. My question is...does there have to be audio in that main layer? or is it simply an "actions" layer that will essentially "control" all the other audio in the other various layers underneath it?