A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: More advice needed: Going to Japan

More advice needed: Going to Japan

Im using FK members for all their advice today. So, I want to spend a week or two in Japan this summer and want to hike and travel a lot.

Anyone done this? If you have anything to share I would greatly appreciate it. I will probaly be going in the second week of may if I can pull it off.

hiking? go to the Hokkaido region... that's northern Japan.

I worked in Tokyo for a while, lived north near Sendai. Went to Sapporo for a few winter festivals, but never in the summer time.

ok, I won't lie. I spent most of my time in the city... near or in Akihibara... where the gadgets were located.

Western part of Japan, like Osaka, could yield some good trails too, perhaps. damn... I'm starting to forget too much.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Ever seem like its just me and you talking to eachother gerbick?

Anyways, have you hiked the Hokkaido region? Also, I dont know japanese and I'll be by myself most likely but I heard everyone is really friendly.

the "hiking" I did was mainly biking, actually. but just going north of Tokyo, you're in the mountains basically already.

the people are very, very friendly, and in the cities, English was spoken so much that I didn't even speak any Japanese. thank goodness... my japanese was horrible anyway.

but in the northern area(s) you might encounter people that really don't speak any English.

I'll ask my friend in Japan if she can think of some places that are cool to go to...

I haven't done much hiking in Japan,

but as there are lots of moutains, you have lots of choice.

The obvious one would be Mount Fuji, not far at all from Tokyo, also Nikko, north of Tokyo. Southern part of Japan amin island, Kyushu region, is really nice too, especially Kagoshima region, but really hot and humid (sticky) in summer. Maybe northern Japan would be more suitable as it is milder... depends what you like!

from what I know, quite a few Japanese like climbing. I imagine you can easily find people who know their stuff better (no offence FK members, me included)

quick google search, I found:
    http://www.traildatabase.org/countries/japan.html
    (various links to associations, peoples experiences and suggestions...)
    http://www.bornplaydie.com/japan/kofuguide/hiking.htm
    (one guy who seems to have done them all + pics)
    http://forum.japantoday.com/Japan_An..._378736/tm.htm
    (interesting points on touristic places in Japan, forum thread)

Also, book from Lonely planet, 'Hiking in Japan'
    DB

I've never been out of Scotland, so i'm no use in this thread (apart from England to see Bob Dylan) and i'm flying to New York in 2 weeks (to see Bob Dylan)...

What sort of job did you have in Tokyo gerbs? And how did you come to get it?
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

the job was doing 3D for Sega. I got the job because a friend of mine and myself decided to basically boast that we could do some awesome work, and if they didn't like us, they could send us back in one month without pay.

sorry to intrude, but for how long did you work there for? and when was that?

I am very interested to go to Japan to work and live there one day...
    DB

Thanks for the links and input guys. I started to contact some backpacking groups out there.

Also, gerbick, how was the biking situation?

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    ok, I won't lie. I spent most of my time in the city... near or in Akihibara... where the gadgets were located.
    Is that place also the gamer's paradise? It's this one place I've heard about where all the stores just sell games, games, games! Is it near Tokyo? I just have no idea and Tokyo is high on my holiday list for later in the year.
    Last edited by ]v[orpheus; 07-06-2005 at 11:31 AM.

ANY person going to Japan is gonna be having the time of their lives. I dont know why you'd want to go to Japan for hiking though. You'd be better off going to Japan and living in the heart of Tokyo city or Kyoto (where I went) for...*other* purposes...

The only thing I'd recommend to do in Japan is to go crazy on gadgets and games. Take like a hundred grand with you and come back as a Geek Gadget God just like I did

Akihibara is more shopping and gadgets. Shinjuku has the games.

My wife is Japanese and i was in Japan many many times. You should definitely visit some natural onsen (hotspring). I don't know the north, mainly south (of Osaka) but in the south there are some real pretty nice hotsprings in Kagoshima (Aso mountain), where is a vulcano. Actually around there is a place, where you can bury yourself in hot gravel.
    But problem is you have only 2 weeks.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Aso caldera

I have been to Aso this summer (probably not the best time to go to south of Japan as it is hot and humid), and it was a great experience. Scenery, hotsprings, food and great company! I highly recommend.

ps: Of course, if first time in Japan + only two weeks, you will have to prioritize!!
    DB