A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: what do they call these technique?

www.duayne.com

what do they call these technique?

hi.. im just wonderin on how they put a textarea inside flash... (like the <textarea></textarea> tag in html), where you could highlight the text and copy it..

ive seen a site before, now i cant find any site like that..

coudl someone give me a link to any site with that kind of stuff? and how did they do that? is that called "the XML get stuff" (err.. i dont even know what xml is)?

or is it what they call externally loaded text?

thanks..

Member Pepember
    there's something called dynamic text in flash. select the text tool and draw a box on the stage. in the properties panel you can make either static text, input text or dynamic text. select dynamic text and give the text box the instance name "myText".
    now you can enter text via actionscript, eg. put this code on the first keyframe of your movie (assuming that the text box is on the first keyframe also):

myText.text = "Whatever text I put here will appear in the box.";

now you have your text box displaying this text. to make it selectable in the final swf so you can copy the text, there's a small button in the properties panel.

the beautiful thing is that you can use external data (be it XML or just a simple text file) to fill that textbox. but loading that stuff is a whole different story. for XML you would use the XML class, for a simple text file you could use the LoadVars class.
    Please sign here

www.duayne.com
    oh i see now.. ill try to look some tutorials on it... and the keyword would be DYNAMIC TEXT, right?

thanks bro.. more power...