A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: The more I see about the XBOX360...

The more I see about the XBOX360...

The less impressive it gets.

nope, not going into numbers, cpu's, and other crap. I'm talking only about games here.

Frame City Killer by Namco looks like a PS2 game... a bad one at that.
    Shin Sangoku Musou 4 Special (Dynasty Warriors 5 Special) looks sub-par...
    Ridge Racer 6 just looks... decent.
    NBA 2K6 looks friggin' awesome though.

I believe some more November 22nd release games photos and whatnot will be released shortly. But the Media Center extensions look pretty damn nice too. Too bad I don't have a XP Media Center PC though.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I think in games like dynasty warriors, the developers have opted to use the system's resources for expansive environments and smooth fps in large fights over perfect graphics...I do think that the console has the hardware for some incredible visuals, but sadly many games won't be taking full advantage of its abilites.

I agree, the lineup software looks pretty unimpressive.

I don't think the problem is the hardware, but the fact that they're being rushed. Apparently the first batch of titles are all single threaded and won't be taking advantage of the 360's multithreading abilities for one thing. A game like Gears of War which is heading for a later release looked pretty impressive, so it'll be interesting to see what the console can do when the PS3 comes rolling around.

Everything about the 360 launch stinks of a bad rush job IMO, and it seems like all developers have had time to do is port existing games and bump up polycounts and textures. But considering other console releases are still far away and they're doing a christmas release, it still may work out for them.

Anyone play a 360 yet? They have them on display at our local EB and I heard Wal-Mart has them too.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Yeah, Walmart has them. Definitely not as great as it's made out to be. Anyone hear the rumors that PS3's been pushed back 22 months/until 2007?

I am giving up on keeping track of dates, when I walk into a vidoe game store and see it sitting there I will pick it up
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis F5
    Yeah, Walmart has them. Definitely not as great as it's made out to be. Anyone hear the rumors that PS3's been pushed back 22 months/until 2007?
    That rumor was started on a gaming forum I visit. However, it was kinda funny to see it make a news on the BBC website, normaly this made up stuff just reaches the blogs ... and spong.com.

Btw, some Xbox 360 kiosks seams to be overheating the GPU: http://www.planetxbox360.com/?view=article&article=432

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

So if Sony isn't releasing it in the Spring of 2007, when? I can't see why they want to release a next gen gaming console in the middle of spring and not take advantage of the retail market during holiday season, when cash spending is at its peak.

I do agree though that I'm not completely impressed with the game lineup. I go to the gamespot site and just don't really see much. Even the Madden 2006 for the 360 looks bleak, for example there is no custom character creation...wtf. Some games look cool to me, for example Gun.

I think we'll have to wait until after Christman or even later for the really good stuff to arrive. Screw it I'm buying it anyway.

I played Call of Duty at BestBuy this weekend and I have to admit, I was impressed by the visuals. Granted, it was being played on a crazy huge plasma tv but it looked damn smooth. And the controller felt good, unlike the original Xbox behemoth.

I'm with gerbick though, the launch titles look poor. I'm excited about the NBA2k and Madden...and thrilled about the new Elder Scrolls game, but other than that...everything is a pretty racing game. bleh.

Elder Scrolls got delayed. Read that over at http://xbox360.ign.com

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Lame. I'll wait then, there's nothing out at launch that really grabs my attention. There's enough PS2/PSP/DS/PC titles out now, or coming out that will keep me occupied for a while.

I just played F.E.A.R for pc...it felt and looked like a Half Life 2 Clone from what i played on the demo...disspointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Visionray
    So if Sony isn't releasing it in the Spring of 2007, when?
    The official date is still spring 2006. There's a PS3 event a few days before the Xbox 360 release, people expect the exact date and price by then and maybe some playable games.

Fredi
    Mind Share Projects [ <- my latest projects ] [ my splash page -> ] Fredi Bach
    OS X Code (r,s) [ my Mac, web 2.0 and programming blog ]
    Not A Blog [ my personal weblog ]
    jMe Feed Aggregator [ my latest most famous project ]
    Web Command Line [ use the web like a real geek ]

The most awe-inspiring part of the 360 is the Samsung LCD TV being used on the in-store kiosks. Those are really impressive. Might have to pick one up.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    The most awe-inspiring part of the 360 is the Samsung LCD TV being used on the in-store kiosks. Those are really impressive. Might have to pick one up.

they don't have a console sold, but they might have a tv spree coming up