dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Image Quality

Image Quality

Hi All,

I've noticed something strange in Flash, and I'm wondering what everyone else has to say about it. Let's say I have a movie, and on the root level I have a picture that moves from left to right over some number of frames. I've found that if I play the movie as-is, the movement is jerky. However, if I place the movie inside another movie that is only one frame repeating, the movement is much smoother.

Has anyone else experienced this? Can anyone explain more around why this happens?

Thanks!

are you tweening the picture across the frames?
    If you don't think you're going to like the answer, then don't ask the question.

Yes I am.

use actionscript instead, what do want to happen and i can write the code for you. However you can increase the fps to about 30 for a smoother tween, and set the easing at the beginning to 100 for a smooth stop. The longer you make the frames, the slower it will move. Tweening uses more memory than actionscript.
    Last edited by EQFlash; 11-03-2005 at 01:02 AM.
    If you don't think you're going to like the answer, then don't ask the question.

Hello,

I'm using actionscript now to move my images, however I am still experiencing the same issue. The images are crisp if they are inside another movie of just on frame, but distorted if they are at the root level of the movie.

My fla file is too big to post here. It's only just over a meg, would someone be willing to look at it for me?

Senile member! :)
    In my experience imagequality has a habbit of being real poor if the main timeline of the main movie is longer than a single frame. But as long as it's a single frame it's fine.

Just don't ask me why.

/Mirandir

That's what I've found too. That being the case, how do you get a preloader to work? If the main movie is just one frame, doesn't it wait to start playing until that one frame is loaded?

I really need to get a preloader working, but I can't have more than one frame on the main movie or the images are all distorted.

What I did was that I put the preloader of the main movie into a movie of it's own.

Since it's only a preloader I didn't need to preload that movie. And can therefore keep it in one single frame.

/Mirandir

Thanks Mirandir, I appreciate you chatting this out with me. It is certainly a relief to hear someone confirm this unexplainable quark in Flash! I was about to uninstall the program just to see if somehow my install was screwy.

I'm attaching an example fla file, and would really appreciate if you could take a look at it and help me to understand better where you placed the preloader.

Ultimately 'mainMovie' will have a somewhat large music file added to it, so I absolutely need a preloader. I'm just not really sure where to put it and which movie i need to check to verify loading is complete.

Thanks so much!
    Attached Files Attached Files

First I modified the "example.fla".
    I lifted the animation from the movieclip onto the main timeline. I also added a blank frame in the beginning with a stop() action so the movie wouldn't play prematurely.

Then I added a new file "preloader.fla" That is a really simple external preloader. It contains of two movieclips. One is an empty movieclip with an instancename of "container_mc". This is where It loads the real main movie.

The second movieclip is of course the preloader. It contains two textfield's "A fantastic preloader" and the standard percentage display.

The preloader AS is on the main timeline and consists of a simple onEnterFrame loop checking load progress and displaying it in the textfield.

When the "main movie" is detected to be fully loaded play() is called on the container_mc movieclip and the preloader, which isn't needed anymore, is deleted.

Playing the example.swf on it's own gives poor image quality, it's real crap to be honest . But when you run it through "preloader.swf" there's no sign of the crappy quality.

/Mirandir
    Attached Files Attached Files