A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giving Up!

Giving Up!

I am on day 4 of giving up smoking and so far its not been too bad, well I have no nails left and I notice every person on the telly that smokes, including crusty the clown on the simpsons

So far I have been able to keep myself away from any shops that sell cigaretts and also away from the pub, but tonight I need to goto my local snooker hall to pick up this weeks results for the snooker league so I can put them onto their website........this I think is going to be the hardest part yet as I have gone total cold turkey not using any patches or gum and I have smoker 40 a day for 13 years. Its just the thought of walking into a smoke filled room

I can't just go in, grab the results and run! I'll have to stay for a beer and say hello to everybody which will probably turn into 3 or 4 beers..........and everybody smokes Will I survive the night and still not be smoking tomorrow?

Good luck man!

I found that going to smokey pub’s helped when I gave up, made me realise how much it stank and how little I was missing!

Yup... just think you wont die... or have a smaller penis because you gave up! Hurray!

good luck!!

i've never really considered myself a smoker, but was often tempted after a couple of beers down the pub......

If you are tempted to start again, remember - Giving up smoking is one of the best things you will EVER do in your life. You will be healthier, richer, you'll look better, you'll smell better, you stand more chance of living longer, food will taste so much better, YOU will taste so much better (when you're snogging a lady).

I used to smoke (a bit) and then stopped. I'd reccommend it to anyone who smokes (apart from the people I don't like)

best of luck mate!
    if you can survive the snooker hall you are a good way there
    no smoking all day means a free couple of beers (well sort of)
    stay positive and all that old bollocks.
    the sooner its banned in pubs and clubs the better (and i smoke 30 a day).
    Last edited by darkstar; 11-04-2005 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darkstar

best of luck mate!
    if you can survive the snooker hall you are a good way there
    no smoking all day means a free couple of beers (well sort of)
    stay positive and all that old bollocks.
    I wish all smokers and the government were like you!

Too many kickbacks to ban it in all pubs and clubs... Although I'd probably become an alcoholic if smoking was banned in pubs...

Quote Originally Posted by littleMatt
    Good luck man!
    Cheers Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by Markp.com
    Yup... just think you wont die... or have a smaller penis because you gave up! Hurray!
    This is true Mark but I will die one day!
    Quote Originally Posted by loydall
    food will taste so much better
    Don't I just know that one, I have made so many bad judgments in the kitchen because I couldn't tast a serton herb in a dressing or I have added too much of somthing because I couldn't taste is, I think the worst one is garlic, since smoking I always put too much garlicn in things.
    best of luck mate!
    Cheers DS, problem is my local is a private members club and even if they ban it in pubs nad clubs, my club will still be smoking

I hope it don't bother me that much.

Funny thing is the main reason for me smoking was to get a break at work!!!!!

I used to be a chef and a very good one too, I have worked in some very busy places around the UK including The Marriott in Swansea where I cooked for Mr Douglass and Mrs Johnes. But the thing was if you didn't smoke you couldn't stop as there is always too much to do! working in a kitchen is not like a usual job, you can't just say at quarter past you are taking a <Caugh>legaly</Caugh> entitled break for 15 minutes. It just don't work like that, but you can get out of the kitchen by running for the door and shouting back in a mo just grabbing a fag and that was understood to be ok

But I gave cooking up three years ago to start my own business but I kept smoking out of habbit so thought I had better stop now

This will also help me get back into doing some of the things I used to enjoy before cooking and smoking, like cycling

My girlfriend just finished reading Alen Carr's easy way to stop smoking (for women) but you can get a blokes one. She' having to read it again as she stopped in the middle, but she has said he desire to smoke is getting less.

Although, the thing that started it was a night out where she smoked tonnes and then for 2 weeks smoked 1 a-day because the idea of smoking made her sick! Binge Smoking! She usually smokes around 15 a-day.

Funny story on my travels were the people who decided to stop smoking when we reached the most southern city in the world (Ushuaia). They started smoking by the time we got up to Chile. Man, they were lame!

Good luck man, i really recommend Alen Carr.

dude, way to go! you're over the physical part, but you still have a few more weeks of severe mental anguish. you've got to focus on all the great things about not smoking...$1200 a year for me, not reaking, feeling better, increased time managment, and the list goes on. i'm two years into not smoking, and it's hard to believe that i ever did it. pretty soon you will be pitying all of those buttheads that can't quit!

great job, and good luck!

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

The_xell Cheers buddy just done a Google on him and if I am getting urge to smoke by tomorrow I may get his book

Cheers nordberg, there is also an alterier motive to this!!! My 14 year old niece has started smoking and I just want to prove to her that its not all she thinks it is, I have been moaning at her since I found out and so has my brother but all she says is "You can't tell me to stop when you smoke" I made milkshakes the other day for the kids and I made her a special one!!! got a ashtray full of buts and ask, added water and moxed it up gave it to her with a straw NICE

Maybe I'll skip that steak and kidney pie I was planning on for dinner

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_smithers
    I made milkshakes the other day for the kids and I made her a special one!!! got a ashtray full of buts and ask, added water and moxed it up gave it to her with a straw NICE
    Blart! That's foul! Did it work?

Quote Originally Posted by nordberg
    it's hard to believe that i ever did it
    Same here. For years I convinced myslef that I wouldn't be able to give up. Now that I have I can't imagine me ever having smoked!

Quote Originally Posted by littleMatt
    Blart! That's foul! Did it work?
    No it didn't, she just said thats horrible and walked off

there's always hypnotherapy...

www.lexicon-design.co.uk
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made of meat?
    If Vegetarians like animals so much, why do they eat all their food?

Quote Originally Posted by kevin_smithers
    No it didn't, she just said thats horrible and walked off
    Pah... parents these days... when I was a boy my parents would have bought me 20,000 ciggars and made me smoke them all!

Kids today, no punnishment, thats the problem!

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon

Haha!

One of my best mates tried a Hypnotherapist. The guy recorded the session and said he'd give it to my friend on a CD so he could listen to it any time he had an urge to smoke again, but he gave him a blank CD by accident!

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon

LoL

Mark thats what my Grandad done to me once!! caught me smoking when I was younger and made me sit there and smoke one of his King Edwards (No not the potatos) and it did put me off for a good 4 years.