A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: comissioning mobile app

Hybrid View

comissioning mobile app

hi, I'm tasked with commissioning a range of s'phone apps. and could do with some starter advice.

The apps each incorporate short animated sequences (3 seconds) which can be manipulated by the user (rewind/FF/pause/slow/frame step /zoom etc.). The source material is vector-based (Flash/illustrator).

Firstly, how possible is this?

What language/software would be employed?

How long would an app like this take to develop?

What should I look for in a developer?

General advice much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard K
    hi, I'm tasked with commissioning a range of s'phone apps. and could do with some starter advice.

The apps each incorporate short animated sequences (3 seconds) which can be manipulated by the user (rewind/FF/pause/slow/frame step /zoom etc.). The source material is vector-based (Flash/illustrator).

Firstly, how possible is this?

What language/software would be employed?

How long would an app like this take to develop?

What should I look for in a developer?

General advice much appreciated!
    Hi Richard K,

Firstly I'm by no means a flash mobile expert but I will try and help.

It would be possible to put standard vertor graphics (even bitmaps but they take up a lot of processing power) on your application.

Secondly I suggest you go to Macromedia's site and check out their mobile content section. There, you can download Flashlite (software) and their content development kit which should get you started, link . In terms of programming I believe the actionscript is that which was rolled out with Flash 4 so you may have to make some slight re-adjustments to your coding practices if you're unfamiliar with the language.

I can't really answer your question on how long it will take to complete the application as it depends on how good/quick the flash programmer is and what you want done. I'm pretty sure that it should take only a couple of weeks (max 4).
    Hope that helps.