A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: IDEAS!!!! Where do they come from??!!!

IDEAS!!!! Where do they come from??!!!

How do guys come up with these great ideas??? I'm no master with 3DFA, but I have my share of knowledge about it and want to do more. I'm just a desert when it comes to thinking of what to do with that so-called "knowledge" I have. Do you have to be on the artistic side of things??

Maybe it is fear??? I don't know. I try to think of some simple things, but I always wind up thinking "Humm. Been done." Just had to write this. I see so much out there with Flash and all I'm stuck doing is Menu Interfaces.

I did do a kind of music video with an old version of 3DFA with the song "You Spin Me Round". Couldn't redo it because ver4 doesn't read the original file. It was simple FLAT animation. No real "body movements" of the elements. Like, say take a silhouette and move it around. Good way to learn and I had fun. After that though, like I said, got stuck doing Menus.

Sorry. Rambling. Had to vent frustration at my lack of imagination. Tired of doing menus. I hope by writting this, something will pop into my head.
    MoonRise

Haha, well I always wanted to make games and thats why I bought 3DFA. I just think of something I would like to play and make it. I'm also very into doing stuff that hasnt been done before such as BIG online p2p flash games (using MySQL) and games with 3D or 3D cutscenes (such as my latest game coming out soon! ). So yeh just think of stuff you'd like to see online and make it. Also I could always use extra people helping me on my games if you wana come join my "team" .
    BC

well , im not sure if anyone can help you on this particular question XD ,well , if i have to guess i say every artist get his motivation and brainGears running of different resones , i for once get the most out of myself only once i'm depressed (heavily) or pissed off.

Try and find your motivation factor ,practice skills with animations of no importance and once the idea will come , go for it (and remember the what made you have that idea).

best of luck finding your motivation factor.

CyberReaper.An angry man trying to bring the world down :P
    ok....what ?

Quote Originally Posted by cyber reaper
    well , im not sure if anyone can help you on this particular question XD ,well , if i have to guess i say every artist get his motivation and brainGears running of different resones , i for once get the most out of myself only once i'm depressed (heavily) or pissed off.

Try and find your motivation factor ,practice skills with animations of no importance and once the idea will come , go for it (and remember the what made you have that idea).

best of luck finding your motivation factor.

CyberReaper.An angry man trying to bring the world down :P

Thanks for the responses. Actually after I wrote that I decided on this simple little thing. I guess it's a start anyway. Odd that you would mention "brainGears". Anyway, like I said, It's a start.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    MoonRise

Nice, lol. Keep it up!
    BC

Thanks

Thanks! I actually improved on that one. Used four BMPS of the center gear and came up with a quick and dirty embedded sequence of IF ELSE statements. This was to try and take into account the other gear's rotation so that the center gear actually looked like it was a part of the rotation of the others. Especially when the OFF button was pressed. More fun than MENUS.
    MoonRise

hehe looks like you've got it ,now let me give you one more piece of advice.

i'm not shur why you used bitmaps for the gears 3DFA is able to make gears fairly easy , in fact ,it even have a tool for that... ,another thing i want you to consider is using a mask for the middle gear so it will be able to have a smoth movement over just 2 frames one.

have fun practicing in flash , it has so much to ofer.
    ok....what ?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cyber reaper
    hehe looks like you've got it ,now let me give you one more piece of advice.

i'm not shur why you used bitmaps for the gears 3DFA is able to make gears fairly easy , in fact ,it even have a tool for that... ,another thing i want you to consider is using a mask for the middle gear so it will be able to have a smoth movement over just 2 frames one.

have fun practicing in flash , it has so much to ofer.
    Actually I've improved on it quite a bit. --->SITE Check

The original was with the internal tools, except of course the center gear (BMP ). ConnELITE showed an example of his 3D stuff, so I downloaded the same software and redid the gears with a 3D model instead. I've actually have since improved on the gears from what is seen in the link above. As I said it's a start and I really do appreciate the great feed back. I keep those comment in TXT files for future reference. I actually have an idea going through my head of what is next and all due to these simple little gears. Along the lines of "Thief: The Dark Project". Just working with these gears like this because it is forcing me to learn different flash structure than what I was doing with "menus" . That is why I've asked for an example of script that controls 3D models. Like I said in that post, I just need one simple example and I can get the rest. Again, thanks for the feedback! It helps!!
    Last edited by MoonRise; 11-13-2005 at 10:19 AM. Reason: Wording!!!
    MoonRise

So is "Thief: the dark project" gona be a game? Cause if its an rpg or anything I have some great scripts and functions I could lend you. I'm great with games, thats all I do!
    BC

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by ConnELITE
    So is "Thief: the dark project" gona be a game? Cause if its an rpg or anything I have some great scripts and functions I could lend you. I'm great with games, thats all I do!

Since there is already a game out by that name I wouldn't be able to, but my idea is along those same lines as that particular RPG. As I was working on my little project, I happen to remeber that game. The main menu of that game always had gears operating in the background. Cool game by the way.
    MoonRise

oh yeh now I remember that game.
    BC