A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: loading the right swf into mc

loading the right swf into mc

Hi,
    I'm not very good at flash, because I don't use it so much. Till now I haven't really realized what it has to offer. I've written code for photo gallery. It's with slider, into which are loaded swf's with small images. When the user clicks on a small image, it's loaded the larger version of it into movieclip - let's call it holder (it loads swf). At start the holder is empty. And here is my problem.The site is written with VBS (ASP). In the gallery are pictures of authors. How can I tell Flash from a link in ASP page, which swf must load into holder?
    Let me explain. In home page is a list of the articles. when the user clicks one title, it opens the page called articles.asp?articleID=.... And I want that the gallery shows the right picture in holder. I just can't believe how I just comlicated . Well, if you need any further info, please, let me know

THX for any help

hi

so u r using "articles.asp?articleID=" where ur articleID in unique ID.
    u need to also store author's pic name in database. now here is a question u r showing ur atricles titles in flash file of normal in asp file??
    if u r showing ur atrticles in flash file than it is simple but if u want to go from asp to another asp file in which u r using flash file u need more explainations.

as a asp programmer u can do it.
    so pls tell me wat do u want???
    Thanks
    Baljit Singh Grewal
    Click here to email me
    Messengers: baljit@bsgrewal.com

Hi,bs_grewal,

THX for your reply. I'm going from one asp to another asp. I'm using flash file just for showing the authors photo. In db (article_list is the name of the table and here are saved all articles) I'm also saving author's unique ID.

I past version on my site I used this communication between asp and flash. In link (article's title) was also query, which conatined author's ID. So when he/she clicked the link, it opened the article.asp page. Here was this code:

// this lines called queries
    ArticleID = CLNG(Request.QueryString("article"))
    PeopleID = CLNG(Request.QueryString("people"))

//this is the flash object in asp
    <object classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000" id="obj14" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" border="0" width="1003" height="205">
    <param name="movie" value="images/group.swf?PeopleID=<%=PeopleID%>">
    <param name="quality" value="High">
    <param name="wmode" value="transparent">
    <embed src="images/group.swf?PeopleID=<%=PeopleID%>" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="obj14" width="1003" height="205" quality="High" wmode="transparent"></object>

This way I was sending flash variable

The code in flash was
    //this way I was telling flash to which frame must go

if(PeopleID != undefined){
    gotoAndStop(PeopleID);
    }else{
    stop();
    }

Can this be done the same way?Sorry, that's wrong question. What I want is to tell the flash which swf must load into mc (holder).
    Last edited by piki; 11-07-2005 at 07:24 AM.

Code:
    <param name="FlashVars" value="PeopleID=<%PeopleID%>" />
    <embed src="noquerystring.swf" FlashVars="PeopleID=<%PeopleID%>" />

try moagriu's code
    Thanks
    Baljit Singh Grewal
    Click here to email me
    Messengers: baljit@bsgrewal.com

I was just reading it.Thank you both fo ryour help so far. I'll try it.