A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Navigation bar inside a movie clip...?

Here is the deal,

I have a button for my main Scene, I click on it it plays a short movie that opens up a navigation bar in that same scene..

the Button is inside a movie.

All the buttons on the navigation bar have the the action script, they are a basic on release goto a scene.

The problem is they wont't go to the scene.

If I could send my code to someone to look at that would rule, or is there something I have to put in my actionscript different when you have a button inside a movie.

here is the URL:
    http://www.monterey.edu/students/Stu...ers_Trial.html

If you go to the ? button that is the button im talking about.

Thanks
    [Edited by !-!arlequin on 12-07-2000 at 03:28 AM]

Smile

I'll have a look at your actionscript if u send it here

Sounds good.. (sent it)

Alright.. Sent away..

Thanks for your help.

Okay, had a look. Basically you cannot control the main timeline (root) from a nested movie clip. What you need to do is to move that popup to the main timeline. If it is there it will go to scene 2 or whatever scene you want. Sorry. I have yet found another way to do this. Anyone else help?

I have also mailed this to you

Sorry

I think this is an identical problem that I am having. How do I move a MC to the main timeline thus giving me the ability to do a gotoandwhatever on the main timeline?

How do I move a MC to the main timeline thus giving me the ability to do a gotoandwhatever on the main timeline?
    simply copy the frames from each layer from your mc and place them in layers on the main timeline.

Ah, since I'm generating a menu system via arrays and need to use duplicateMovieClip() that isn't an option. I actually figured a way to get it to goAndPlay though! Check what I did and see if it jives:

Code:
    on (release) {
        tellTarget ("_root") {
            gotoAndPlay ("Scene 1", "2");
        }
    }
    If this isn't supposed to work, I have no clue. I won't complain either...

Smile

I have not tried this but if it does work then fair play to ya. A lot of people have posted about moving scenes from a nested mc. It must work thisa way in F5. nice one Toma

Okay one Question

I am very new at flash only 1 week old... So the whole Action script stuff is somewhat familiar due to C++ classes.. bur not to close..

you have the code

on (release) {
    tellTarget ("_root") {
    gotoAndPlay ("Scene 1", "2");
    }
    }

What do I use for the "_root"?? what do I change there.. because when I plugged in your code it just took me to the next scene.. hence it worked.. but didnt go to the right scene..

If this makes sense? What do I need to do? If we can talk via ICQ or email tag that would be great my ICQ is 1866313.

Thanks

I'll icq u after me dinner

Cool

ok,
    what i've done when i have that problem may not be the right thing, cause i have no idea why it happens, but it works and is simple.
    In the movie that brings that menu (form the ? mark), add another key frame at the end of each icon layer, then in this frame, place the icon directly from your library and align it in the same position as the others.

I find it is conmon that a button won't work when is not in the main timeline after is being animated.
    hope this helps