A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Synching sound & animation.... Aargh

Synching sound & animation.... Aargh

Okay, I am a total newbie to flash animation, so please excuse me if I sound like an idiot.

I only have the trial version of 3dfa and am trying to make ONE animation... I spent HOURS last night synching the animation up to a 23 second snippet of music. For a beginner piece, I was SO impressed with myself. Of course, I didn't realize at first that things play differently within the app than they do on a webpage, but I soon learned that and rebuilt the whole thing TWICE. SO.... I uploaded it to the internet, tested on my laptop AND my daughter's laptop. Looks GREAT. THen I get to work today and try it here and the synchronization is all messed up. It is playing DIFFERENTLY on different computers - on one, the music is too fast, on another PC, the animation is too fast. What in the world is going on??? Is this something that I can only fix if I purchase the full version? I'm okay with doing that, but only if it means I can fix it. I don't want to pay $50 if my movie is still all screwed up, ya know?

I set it to extract within the SWF... I have tried doing it with mp3 AND wav, didn't help. I set it to load the whole movie before starting...

Aargh... please somebody help me. It looked so cool, I'm so bummed now.

I'd appreciate ANY help...
    thanks,
    Heidi

yeh its most likely fixable, pist the source if you dont mind, put the MOVIE file in a zip and ill take a look.
    BC

Cool...

Here's the source code of the html page:
    All I did was "Insert, Media, Flash" in Dreamweaver and then selected my movie file. I'll also attach the movie zipped, thank you VERY much for taking a look.
    Also - it's loaded at http://www.jetindustries.net/flash.html if you need to know that.

<html>
    <head>
    <title>Jet Flash Intro</title>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    </head>

<body><center>
    <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,29,0" width="800" height="600">
    <param name="movie" value="movie_6.swf">
    <param name="quality" value="high">
    <embed src="movie_6.swf" quality="high" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="800" height="600"></embed></object>

</center>
    </body>
    </html>

zip

it says my zip is too big

wav version instead...

k, i'll attach the wav version. (It's doing the same thing whether I use mp3 or wav).

Also - I've loaded the wav version online at:
    http://www.jetindustries.net/flashwav.html
    Attached Files Attached Files

p.s. I tried loading the page as shockwave, like 3dfa said to do - but then NOTHING played at all, so I switched it to flash. Ya think that's part of my problem?

Syncing is a tricky thing. This is a problem for any flash program. What you can do is use loadSound to load your sound then you can track the position of the sound with the .position property and have the animation wait for certain positions to continue.

Search the forum I did an example of this some time back

you could also have it load the sound and everything before hand then have a button that would start the thing, that would make sure everything strats at the same time.
    BC

Timing issue

I also think it has something to do with Processor speed of compiling (Flash Export from 3DFA) computer system. I've had that problem on two of my flash projects. My very first one was made on a PIII ~900MHz system. A music video. It did great on that machine, but when I run the same exported flash on my PIV 3.0 GHz system whoa boy the music finishes way before the animation. I wouldn't say the sound played to fast since it would have sounded quite funny but rather the animation sequences were slower. Again, I beleive that is tied to the exporting machine processor speed. I know at least in some other programming I've done that is true. I think BLanius is correct in the approach to be more acurate but have never tried it. I have on the other hand done something similar to what ConnELITE said and had fairly decent results. I have also since adjusted alot of my stuff to 30 frames/second.
    Last edited by MoonRise; 11-18-2005 at 08:19 PM. Reason: fix wording
    MoonRise

http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=648474

thats a thread I dug up that I started awhile back. I was having problems with sound. But anyway theres a code in the zip in the thread that shows the total length of the song and where it is in the song (btw it only works in export). This would be a b**** (but for sure would work) to do, but what you could do is sync the animation to where the song was. Like if the song was length 2000 (not that it would be) and say you wanted an animation to come in half way through the song, just say

if song length=1000{
    animation.showor play or start or watever (i hardly animate)
    }

it would work pretty good actually and wouldnt really be too much of a ***** for the length of your animation.
    BC