A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: preloading a screen document .swf

SnowKrash

preloading a screen document .swf

I am using Flash 8 Pro.

I am building my entire website in a screen-based document.swf with slides, called byq.swf

First off, is that a mistake? Should I not use those for building a simple 5 page site?

Now,
    I have a regular .swf called loader.swf that has a snazzy loading animation on it, that I would like to use as a preloader, to get all the bytes and whatnot of the byq.swf file that I want to preload into it.

I need a preloader script that I can put on frame 1 of the loader.swf file that will:

a) display an accurate loading bar along with my loading animation, while it loads byq.swf

b) hide or somehow get rid of the preloading animation and progress bar once the external byq.swf file is fully loaded, then play the byq.swf file.

I have read for two days solid, and looked all through this site, and I can't seem to piece anything together to work.

I would very much appreciate any help.
    Last edited by SnowKrash; 11-25-2005 at 11:44 AM.

what does this mean?
    "screen-based document.swf"

are you loading your "content" (external.swf's) into blank/empty movie clips? or into levels?

SnowKrash
    It's a slide presentation document, so it doesn't have a viewable timeline.

I'm loading into a blank movieclip, but I don't have to, I need something that works.

Thanks
    Last edited by SnowKrash; 11-25-2005 at 01:22 PM.

IMHO loading into a blank movie clip (target) is the best way to do things...

quick over view..as Im not sure what part your havng trouble doing..

1.) code on a button to loade your external.swf or external.jpg (using loadMovie("external.swf");

2.) your preloader animation... depending on how you designed it..the animation needs to be "looped" or needs to be 100 frames long.

3.) preloader code that checks the status of the content being loaded into your blank movie clip...(doesnt matter what you load into it)

here are some threads that explain the preloader code (very simple)..and also a link to a simple "percentage" preloader component..all you need to do is change the name of the container clip you want to "check the status of"...

http://www.flashkit.com/board/showth...ight=preloader

SnowKrash
    thanks, I'll try this