A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: For everyone with a preloader problem

sstalder. Hey

I suppose so. Never thought of it like that. Basically the movie should start playing before the preloader can go all the way to 100%. Hence, if the movie is 100k then the pre-load amount could be a liitle less, say, 20%. Or, if it's 3mb then the preload amount would be 50%

I'm just throwing numbers out there so I don't know if technically that would work.

Hi Whispers and Irkev... thanks for the reply!

30% was just a number I threw out there. I work with a client who has this "guideline" for there Flash ads, landing pages and/or anything with flv. The flash movies can only pre-load a certain amount before they have to begin. I would be able to increase or decrease the pre-load amount depending on the size of the Flash peice.

well somehow you'd have to define your threshold of when/where you want the movie to play..

but are these streaming .flv's? or something you are straight preloading?..like a .swf? for a static image.. this obviously wouldnt work..

Quote Originally Posted by nick1572
    Hi Whispers and Irkev... thanks for the reply!

30% was just a number I threw out there. I work with a client who has this "guideline" for there Flash ads, landing pages and/or anything with flv. The flash movies can only pre-load a certain amount before they have to begin. I would be able to increase or decrease the pre-load amount depending on the size of the Flash peice.

Im not sure why you posted this again?

did you read the post here:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...&postcount=180

you need to calculate the totalBytes of the object you are loading.. and then check the bytesLoaded... and at a certain percentage... start your movie playing.

Ok. I think i'm with ya. I think I was thinking way too much. I'll try some tonight and see. thanks for clearing the mind chatter for me

I've been having problems sometimes with db posting. i go to post quick reply and then it brings me back to the login screen. I dont' think we'll use video. This will just be regular swf's with your typical png's - jpg's. Most won't reach more than 1-2mb. I'm assuming. You never know with clients.

then what i posted should be fine.. however... you cant display an image until the whole thing has been downloaded..make sense? cant really display PART of an image..

but if were talking multiple frames..with tweens and or other stuff... then you can play as much of it that has been loaded..

Duh! I feel like a goob...Yes it makes sense. LOL. All of my mc's are either attached or on the timeline but all are animated with AS2. No timeline animations. Thanks for your help!

by the way your pic is killing me Very funny
    Last edited by nick1572; 02-18-2009 at 05:49 PM.

Hello all,

I'm thinking that someone has already addressed this issue but I have a slight issue and I can't find an answer to my problem.

My .swf file is about 4MB (and it's going to get bigger) in size and whenever anyone goes to look at it, they look at a white screen for a while then it shows my preloader for half a second then it goes to the 3rd frame. I want them to watch the preloader as it's loading the actual movie. Do I need an external .swf or something? How do I do that? My code is as follows:

myLoaded = Math.round(getBytesLoaded());
    myTotal = Math.round(getBytesTotal());
    myPercent = myLoaded/myTotal;
    myBar._width = myPercent*100;
    myText = Math.round(myPercent*100)+"%";
    if (myLoaded == myTotal) {
    gotoAndStop(3);
    } else {
    gotoAndPlay(1);
    }

It's located in the second frame and I don't have any actions in my first frame.

Thanks in advance