A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: The Wedding Photographer

The Wedding Photographer

An employee at a company where I do ad and graphics (including some photography) work left a message on my voicemail. She wants to know what I would charge to shoot a friend of hers' wedding and dinner.

I have no wedding experience. I am generally a semi-pro who does some location shoots for advertisements and web.

I'm not sure how to handle this or what it will entail or if I should even accept the offer to bid. I don't have any more details until I speak with her on Monday. Just wondering if anyone here has wedding photography experience and what I should charge and will have to have, do or know if I end up doing the job.

Having not had any experience either I can't help you very much, but a friend recently asked my if i'd take photos at his sister's wedding, not alot of people, 20 or so.

My only worries are that my G5 isn't fast enough for indoor photography (and I doub't i'll have my 20D by then ) and the responsibility of not ****ing up

I will definately have a laptop along with me, backing up every half hour or so

As for what to charge, I don't have a clue! An open bar and free food was enough to persuade me!
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

I am finding a wealth of information online right now...

This this is a really good thread I found.

I am considering offering them an initial engagement shoot free of charge since I don't have any wedding photography experience. Shoot some portraits of the bride or the bride and groom... casual / formal... whatever they want. If they like those shots and we click then we can move forward with confidence.

Wedding photography is a good gig to get in to. Once you get experience you can really make a killing off of it. Since this is your first one, I'd go low. It really depends how much they want though. Portraits, ceremony, reception, limo, etc. You could either have a flat fee or charge hourly.

Remember, getting hands on experience may be more important than the money at this point. Plus, if they like the photos you can make a lot selling prints.

Quote Originally Posted by skate342
    Plus, if they like the photos you can make a lot selling prints.
    Thanks Skate, do you have any recommendations on who to use for prints? I guess I should probably use my local custom lab if their budget permits, but I was just curious if there was anything online that I might check out.

Yea until I get more details, meet the couple and see what they want I won't really know what to charge. Just from my initial queries it seems $1,000 seems to be a low-end offer... but like I said I plan on offering an initial engagement shoot free of charge, if they like the shots I will sell them.

I would go with a photo lab that you know and trust as opposed to an online service. $1000 is definently a fair deal for a first timer.

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by robbmcaulay
    As for what to charge, I don't have a clue! An open bar and free food was enough to persuade me!

So after the first couple of pics, we should expect more cleavage photos, till the famous cieling pictures??

Hey Robb we share Cameras, take a look at my other Rant thread and tell me if you can help with it