A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: control movie with external actionscript?

\\___unPossible

control movie with external actionscript?

I need to make a site that allows someone with no knowledge of flash to update their own content. (i.e. text )

does anyone know how to control a flash movie with an external actionscript file.

My goal is to make all the tweens and symbols in the actual movie, but have all of the script in its own seperate file that the swf follows as instructions.

this way the script file can be opened and edited in a program like notepad or textedit. to manipulate the dynamic text content.

The part I'm missing: how to tell the swf to follow or reference this seperate file as if it were embedded actionscript

any help or a point in the right direction is greatly appreciated, thanks
    Cause that's just who I am this week.

What exactly are you trying to do? For some things, you could load text to a dynamic box, then use an if statement to see if the text says a certain word, then do something if it is true, but man, that gives me a headache just thinking of how complex that could get. You can write external .as files, but they don't update just by changing them.

\\___unPossible
    I'm experimenting, but for now i would just like to know how to make an swf follow actionscript from an external .as file.

Well, you can write any as into an as file, then load it into flash with an #include.
    Attached Files Attached Files

\\___unPossible
    thank you Ask The Geezer!

Here's a more ambitious one. Just don't ask me how it all works, cause I've had it so long, I've forgotten just how the code works anymore.

You need to make an images folder in the folder you add this, then add the images to it. This makes the number of buttons it needs and makes them visible depending on how many images are in the text files. It can run up to 100 images the way it is now, but you could keep adding them.
    Attached Files Attached Files