A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: hi hi... my 1st proper website :o

Flying on Herbal Tea

hi hi... my 1st proper website :o

wellllll... had been working on this site for months, and then my webhost kinda went bang.
    so just finnaly got it back up today, and was wondering what your general thoughts where... currently its more php than flash, but now that i have my general layout and most functions working, im thinking about changing things, for instance replacing the button boxes down the side with flash etc
    but hmmm any opinions are greatly appreciated...

any bugs you notice or any "thats rubbish you should..." will also be greatly appreciated <3

its my 1st attempt at a serious website, so dont cause me to much pain with flames <3

i think 1 or 2 of the games may not be working because like i said, my webhost died and since my sites coded so i can dynamically upload stuff i lost all the things i had uploaded.

sorry il stop blabbin now...

lol site is...
    http://www.madmental.com
    Last edited by madmental; 12-08-2005 at 10:47 AM. Reason: forgot to put zee weblink in :|

Haha love the quote! So the first suggestion is fonts- change them! And (my trademark phrase)- vertically center it . Apart from that, I like the rough art style you've used. The header is the source of most color and thus distraction, I'd try blending it in a tad more seriously. Good work!

Gfx on the front page and header is way cool but the rest is just pretty plain dude, seems like you've just thrown it on the page. Build a layout in photoshop or anything like that, instead of using some cool gfx to hide the code.

But the gfx are cool indeed
    Hope nobody knows I am still on Flash 5

Flying on Herbal Tea
    kk. i really do see what you mean with the blending of the design being slighlty lacking, and yer the font is kinda boring being default i spose. And seriosuly thanks for the comments on the gfx , took me a long time (practically 4 years i spose) to get the sort of scratcy but trendy look i wanted to do... much appreciated

4 years ! That's commitment or devotion!

Maybe just continue on the same inspiration to create backgrounds in the same style that could lead you to some cool buttons or something to navigate through.

Well see ya in 8 years I suppose
    Hope nobody knows I am still on Flash 5

nice game... i played it on newgrounds about 6mnths ago... funny to see the guy that made it lurking the forums

Thats a fun site, I wish I had what it takes to make something that would be found on newgrounds or ebaums. The game is very well put together and I enjoyed the Yoda song. The design on the front page needs more,the sides seem empty and the background seems to seperated from the page. Ebaums and Newgrounds seem so busy and filled w/ links. Maybe on the side you could have a preview of some article or some small animation. Hope this helps. Also I have a question for you, what is Php? You talk abut your site being php, not flash? Thanks

Flying on Herbal Tea
    thx about the game, me and a friend put a good months work into it...
    and yeh decker, i think the background deffinetly needs adjusting.. as well as the requirement for some flash somewhere...
    PHP is basically a dynamic webpage language. It falls under the same catergory as ASP (active server page). Its what this forum is coded in, and its probably the most popular language for creating anything dynamic online such as blogs, forums, highscore tables etc. It can be mixed with SQL (also how this forum works) which is basically a form of database. So with PHP and SQL you can create user logins and accounts etc. hope that helps and maybe even inspires you to go research into PHP (tho be warned im 99% sure that theres not any free webhosting sites that have active PHP as part of the free deal)