A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I need a flash buddy

I need a flash buddy

Someone who knows a lot about flash that wouldn't mind being messaged a lot, if you have either AOL IM or Yahoo IM. I have a lot of questions all the time about flash, and I'm trying to learn flash as best I can. If you can IM me at MLBrandow on AIM or YIM, you'd be my hero.

thanks a lot for any help

hey post your questions here and we can all be your flash buddy. and wow - if i think about it your questions and the potential answers you get might help other people - cool. and what is aim and yim?

AIM == AOL instant messenger
    YIM == Yahoo instant messenger
    my AIM is under my name. IM me if you need help. FlashKit is the best resource, so all of us will be your flash buddy. but if you need small help IM me. i'm okay with actionscript, better with flash.

no no no - keep it public - help the community
    thanks for the interpretation

okay then, he is currently trying to help me (to no avail, although hopefully it will work soon)....

with this problem.

I am trying to get this stupid button to load a movie clip (a flash player to slide out from behind the button).

here is the flash file and site:

http://www.prayforthunder.com/wmp.fla

http://www.prayforthunder.com/wmp.swf

I created a button "Symbol 2" and converted it to a movie clip "Symbol 3"

If i put the code

on (release) {
    gotoandplay(2);
    }

on the player layer in the root scene, it loads my "flash player" (which is just a hollow orange rectangle animation atm) but the button becomes inanimate.

If I have it normally on the symbol 2 (which is inside symbol 3) the button works but it toggles nothing.

What am I doing incorrect and how do I fix it? I'd really prefer talking with someoen live than closed messaging, but if it is expedient than it will suffice i guess.

If anyone has ventrilo, we can chat on there and hopefully you can help me troubleshoot this.

okay I've got it fixed, thanks blazes816

I will add more when I get stumped again building this flash player