A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Pulling Data Across Domains within Flash

A Senior Newbie - How Odd ForumNewbie's Avatar

Pulling Data Across Domains within Flash

Hi Folks,

I remember ages ago that Brett posted an RSS/XML reader for reading news feeds into Flash animations. There was a problem at the time because Flash doesn't allow you to pull data across domains for security reasons.

Although we came up with a dirty fix at the time, I came across this article today that might be helpful to others. It details how to get round this using various server side scripting methods, and has a secondary method if you have access to save a swf on the server where the data resides.

I attach the link for interest: Link for How to Pull Data Across Domains (PHP/ASP/etc)

Can anyone think how me might be able to get the secondary method working with 3DFA, since the commands will be slightly different to Flash, but most commands are usable with some tweaking.

Cheers,

Morgan.
    Please note that my domain has changed to http://www.morganmultinational.com

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    I have an opensource RSS reader made in two platforms (Koolmoves and Swishmax) that while as source code won't help you much, it's php backsides would.

It does exactly what you need and retrieves a remote xml feed....parses it and sends it into any flash movie as variables it can understand. No cross domain issues involved.

Doesn't matter the platform as long as actionscript is possible.

Feel free to grab from my site if needed.

** Bret is also a Koolmoves user so maybe he can help you tie it to 3DFA since I'm not a user of the platform myself. It's creative commons source so have at it !..Happy Holidays!

Hi Chris you found me out.

I actually don't do much with 3dfa any more but I still hang around and help out.