dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: MAX 4

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

I just got back from a 2 1/2 hour in-depth demo of MAX 4.0 and Character Studio 3.0. It would take me several pages to go over all the new and killer features. I think I can summarize it in three words.

OH MY GOD!

This is going to kick some serious a**, and I don't get excited very easily.

Probably the most notable feature for this audience is that Vecta3D with gradient shading is part of the standard release. One of many new rendering enhancements.

I'll be happy to try and answer questions about individual features you may be interested in.

thanks!

You lucky dog

Did you get a chance to check out the polyobject modeling sys? Is it as sweet as it looks? I tell you what it would have been hard for me to leave after 2.5 hours if I where in your shoes. The new look is wicked from what I've seen.
    I've been checking out what I can about it and all I can say is..... "Time to get a faster Machine" Any insite on the subject that totaly floored you would be cool.

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

Yes, it's awesome and the 25 minutes we spent after the session playing with it hardly did it justice. You will also like the new hierarchical subdivision sections - you can specify certain sections of a mesh as a subdivision (and further divide subdivisions), then adaptively change mesh density, only affecting lower hierarchies.

Unbelievable.

A fast machine with at least 256MB is recommended and Discreet strongly suggests Win 2K Pro. Although it will 'run' on NT, it will not be supported. Many of the new viewing features require Direct-X. On that note, if you created a custom Direct-X shader, you can preview it directly in the new viewports

The new look is charcoal (like other Discreet products) with a highly adaptable interface. Integration with other Discreet products is solid. The new renderer outputs each channel (diffuse, reflection, ambient, self-illumination, etc.) to a seperate layer (NO effect on render time). You can import the rendered file directly into Combustion and modify individual channels. We saw some wicked VFX with this combo.

Motion blur and depth of field is now photorealistic and can be previewed directly in the viewports. MAX 4 now supports a new feature called 'wiring'. You can 'wire' any parameter to a slider display in the viewport. Need to constantly change parameters in an FFD modifier? No prob. Wire it to a slider and adjust the slider directly in the viewport. You can stack as many sliders as you want in any viewport.

Completely new IK and bones system. You can switch between IK and FK (IK enable button) without modifying the rig any time during an animation. Bones have 'stretch' and 'squeeze' properties.

Many new controllers including constraint controllers. In less than 30 seconds, we saw someone construct a demo where two paths were drawn. A sphere was constrainted to follow one path, then jump to the next, then move along the 'average' of the two paths. No MaxScript.

Enhanced character deformations, including soft body dynamics

Character Studio now supports layered animation with many new biped features. There is now a complete 'Crowd' system inside Char. Studio with congnitive controllers.

OK, I need to stop. I could go on for five more pages and not cover 1/10th of everything that made my jaw drop.

This is a no-brainer. Upgrade!

thanks!

Upgrade?....I wish

It took me weeks to convince my current employers to get max r3.I finally get to be legit, and now this. How much does the upgrade go for?
    Has anybody heard about any new vecta plugin for those who can't afford an upgrade?

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

Standard upgrade price (list) is $795. Vecta3D is included with MAX 4 (with gradient shading).

good luck!

Smile theMatrix

Thanks for taking the time out, and letting me in on some of the goodness that you have witnessed.
    No doubt this is on my Christmas list.
    (the kids will just have to wait till next year.)

Austrian Superstar
    Hi
    you're only talking bout NT and win2k, so it won't run under win98?

K E B E K
    Oh yes I cant wait to get my hands on it! 3D Studio Max is a truly awesome application! Is Max 4 out already?

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

Win 2K Pro was recommended by Discreet. They said it would 'run' under NT, although some of the more advanced display features would not be available and NT would not be formally 'supported.' Nothing was said about '98.

thanks.

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

Shipment date: 'Winter' - we can take that to mean whatever we want. A formal date will not be released until about a week before actual ship. What we saw was very stable. My guess is late Jan. at the earliest - probably Feb. 2001.

thanks.

K E B E K
    I better start saving my money for it

Austrian Superstar
    thx matrix

resolved Nice

It sounds very nice, thanx matrix!
    I am just learning Max 3.1, but i cant wait till this comes out!

PS: do you have a good tutorial site? (not 3D cafe)

try this

http://www.soulburn3d.com/cg_resources/cg_resources.htm

it's Neil Blevins personal web site it has a ton of links to tutorials, script, models, some of the best 3d artist, plugins, and alot more Ive found it very usefull.

when you are there make sure to check out "BlurBeta"
    a lot of free plug-ins and script.
    [Edited by DigitalPhix on 12-15-2000 at 04:50 AM]

Can you still get the new Vecta3D plug-in without upgrading? Was there any mention as to improved optimization of file sizes in the new Vecta plug-in? Did the gradients look as good as Swift?

Thanx!

The Matrix has you
    2112 F/X

I haven't heard anything about upgrades from IdeaWorks3D. File sizes will be worse than before since gradient shading produces larger files. The gradient shading compared very well to Swift's mesh shading. You could shade flat or gradient with Vecta. There were no interim options such as area or average-fill that you have in Swift.

thanks.

resolved Max 3.1 or Max 4 Pre-Made Biped Animations

Hey I was wondering if anyone has, or knows of any place that you can get pre-made .bip (biped) animations for Character Studio? People jumping, walking, dying, etc.

I know there is some on the CD, but I need some more =)

Thanks for your help