A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flash MX and Access Databases

Flash MX and Access Databases

Ok here's my question to all the Gurus out there...

Can Flash MX inport information from an Access Database?
    If so how would you go about doing this?

Thanks all.

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    There are a few ways but if using a local MSAccess database with php as the server side is your goal ad you serve your own pages, I have one file online in my downloads now that shows how and more in the process of coding for submission to script repositories.

My website right now uses MySQl and is a userbased cms system. I also have the same exact website coded to use a MS Access database if I choose and the modules at my site are some of the type I will be releasing to various repositories as source.

Is there a way for Flash to access tables of data in a local Access database? Ideally, the database will be in a folder on my desktop along with my Flash file.

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    Flash can't access a database by itself. If it is on the web then you have to use a server side scripting language. It sounds like you want to use it locally so you will have to use a 3rd party tool such as SWF Studio. It allows you to extend the capabilities of Flash greatly and use it to develop applications. Databases are one of the nice features that it adds.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Regardless of whether it is exported as a movie(swf) or a kisok(exe), it will require the backsides to be on a running server. The most common server sides being php or asp.

Regardless of whether it is exported as a movie(swf) or a kisok(exe), it will require the backsides to be on a running server and the MDB defined as a data source on the host machine. The most common server sides being php or asp.

Regardless of whether it is exported as a movie(swf) or a kisok(exe), it will require the backsides to be on a running server and the MDB database defined as a data source on the host machine. The most common server sides being php or asp.

Holy crap...that was a triple post. Anyway, if it an EXE then it doesn't need to be running on a server if you use a 3rd party tool. They eliminate the need for a server.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Anyway, if it an EXE then it doesn't need to be running on a server if you use a 3rd party tool
    Curious to see an example...if any exists...that can emulate php or asp without a server. Url please....

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Seahorn
    Curious to see an example...if any exists...that can emulate a server side without a server. Url please....
    Link
    There is an example of how you would use SWF Studio to connect a Flash projector to an MS Access database without a server.
    Jason L. Wright

Friggin Northcode....that man can code anything. I stand corrected jason. I'm also pissed I chose SWFkit Pro back in the day and am on my way over there to ***** for a feature.

If you can swing the cost...jasons way is surely preferred.

I love Northcode...I actually started using SWF Studio back with 1.0 before database support and made some mock database functions that let me have almost all the functionality of a db using INI files. I was so excited when they added that feature. I have purchased version 3.0 but don't do as much application development as I used to with it. I need to get back into it.
    Jason L. Wright

Man I'm glad you posted that jason.

Come to find out SWFkit does it as well so I now have something to play with for a week or so. Happy holidays man and thanks for the tip!

Thanks for the help all this really helps... I'm still a bit of a Noob when it comes to some of the "extreme" coding this is tossed around in here but I'll get there someday.