dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Gravity Pong Prototype

Gravity Pong Prototype

This morning, I made this prototype of a gravity pong game I'm going to develop. Hope ya'll like it.

http://morphcham.com/bounce

Have a nice day,
    Christopher
    --
    Christopher

When I click the link, it opens a blank window with a blank Flash file in it. But it appears that the Flash file has finished loading.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

um. woops. is it better now? like i said, it's prototypey
    --
    Christopher

wow, clever idea. It looks promising! Keep it up
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Isaac Newton
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

less prototypeyn version....

--
    Christopher

Nice idea.

Two suggestions:
    Instead of multiplying the y movement by -1 when it hits the paddle, you should set the y movement to be negative. This way, you avoid the ball bouncing back and forth on the trampoline.
    Also, I would zoom out quicker when the ball reaches the edge of the screen to prevent unhitable balls. Either that, or dont allow the ball to pass the wall.

Good luck with the game =)

DBarbarian

how about constant dynamic scaling. Makes sense to me!
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

so you mean zoom in and out whenever needed? That sounds cool. maybe I'll figure that out this morning.
    --
    Christopher

Looks great, clever idea.

Added sounds / music

...and fixed a few different little things. Thanks for your feedback, everyone. I'm going to continue developing it in private for a while, then I'll repost it here when it's done.
    --
    Christopher

http://www.morphcham.com/bounce

I added an ending to the prototype, and I think it's pretty much finished for what it is. Has anyboody else beaten it, besides my girlfriend and I? The real McCoy is going to be off the hook, and I can't wait to finish it so people can play. Overall, the game-play get much more complicated as the real game goes on, and it is quite a bit more trecherous and difficult than the demo. Also, it is more strategy-based (you'll see what I mean.) The question I have is, do ya'll think the game is too hard already, too easy, et cetera, when it comes to scaling the difficulty up as the game progresses. Each level will get more difficult algorithmically as the level goes on, but this will be a difficulty-sloping pertaining to the types of objects the ball can interact with, and how the user must solve each puzzle, and it will be more creative and less mathematical. In other words, do you all think that this game should come out easier, or considerably harder, than this demo. I am going to add a way to save your position, to decrease possible frustration from replaying sections. I don't know: what do ya'll think?
    --
    Christopher

I think the gameplay is almost perfect. One thing though that I would change is that you are able to get the ball through the ring from underneath. Personally it seems like the ball should have to go over top of the ring and back through the hole. But that is just my own opinion.
    "If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." Isaac Newton
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I got to the very last part, but then lost, cause it took several "zooms" before I got it close enough to the holder, and by then, things were very small

I don't like hiding the mousecursor. I like to see where my cursor is to prevent mouse to leave outside of the web-browser. Maybe You could improve some collision physics (with ball+paddle, and with ball+ring).