A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2005 TIME's persons of the year is .....

2005 TIME's persons of the year is .....

Melinda Gates, Bono and Bill Gates: three people on a global mission to end poverty, disease—and indifference.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...142278,00.html

http://www.time.com/time/personofthe...e_dynamic_duo/

There is something scary about seeing the richest computer CEO in the world trying to make "nice" with poor developing India regions...

Bono makes me sick.

PAlexC: That's just Chuck Norris's way of saying sometimes corn needs to lay the heck down.
    Gerbick: America. Stabbing suckers since Vespucci left.

Quote Originally Posted by asun2art
    There is something scary about seeing the richest computer CEO in the world trying to make "nice" with poor developing India regions...
    Why is it so scary? He's doing what he thinks is the right thing for someone with his amount of wealth, and frankly, I think he's doing the right thing too.

Carnegie, Rockerfelller and the robber barrons engaged in shady practices but were extremely benevolent. It comes with the turf when you have that kind of wealth.

I really get turned off when I hear people criticizing or being cynical about his philanthropy. It's as if he can't be genuine about it simply because of his status.

He's doing more than all the dotcom millionaires in the 90's ever did.
    Last edited by PAlexC; 12-19-2005 at 08:05 PM.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

Skill_Unabletospell_guy skill_guy101's Avatar
    Bonos cool
    I like good music.

Nothing scary about donating billions.
    But those pictures do look uneasy.
    Last edited by admedia; 12-19-2005 at 08:07 PM.

I changed my post when I saw those pictures, I didn't realize they were doing work in India as well.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog

Quote Originally Posted by PAlexC
    I didn't realize they were doing work in India as well.
    Yep.

wonder where are the pics of Africa and South East Asia? hmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by skill_guy101
    Bonos cool
    he was way cooler when he had a mullet.

Check the gates foundation site. There was a big article a few weeks ago too about him donating $1Bn towards stopping malaria in Africa.

I take it you're cynical about anything they do in India because of outsourcing, despite the fact that disease is a severe problem there as well. (I had a friend who got malaria there on her honeymoon, and probably would've died if her husband wasn't an EMT who packed his own drugs.)

Consider this: After NAFTA was signed what did GM and Ford do for the citizens of Mexico after they shipped jobs down there?
    Last edited by PAlexC; 12-19-2005 at 08:17 PM.

Yeah, not great pictures are they??

But as much as Gates has a lot to answer for with regards to his company's business practices, I can certainly have nothing against someone giving and doing as much as they are to help. And can't really go against "person(s) of the year" being about someone giving rather than taking...

And what's wrong with Bono? Disagree with his methods sometime if you will, but at least he seems to give a ****, unlike the majority of celebrities. You have two choices when you have a profile - do f*** all and just have a good time, or give a sh** about something that means a little more than your own life of its own. Fair play to him is all I can say.
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!

* puts on tinfoil hat

I think the greatest effort his foundation is making is the task of radically changing the public school system in America. His speech at the education summit was inspiring and gave me hope that maybe something actaully can be done.

speech text:
    http://www.gatesfoundation.org/Media...NGA-050226.htm

Razor
    Quote Originally Posted by ViRGo_RK
    Bono makes me sick.

I think the greatest effort his foundation is making is the task of radically changing the public school system in America. His speech at the education summit was inspiring and gave me hope that maybe something actaully can be done.

speech text:
    http://www.gatesfoundation.org/Media...NGA-050226.htm
    i agree. the problem is that nobody is listening...

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Quote Originally Posted by nordberg
    i agree. the problem is that nobody is listening...
    True. And when multi-million dollar celebrities hold concerts to help solve world hunger are they listening any more? Do they care about anything more than seeing elton John, REM & and Coldplay on the same stage?

True. And when multi-million dollar celebrities hold concerts to help solve world hunger are they listening any more? Do they care about anything more than seeing elton John, REM & and Coldplay on the same stage?
    Perhaps not, but does that mean it has more negative than positive results? Just because something isn't the best solution, doesn't mean it's not a worthy exercise. Just because people don't listen doesn't mean you should stop spreading the message. Change often takes time, and comes from a variety of events and messages.

And if you can think of better things then put those ideas forward. There's plenty of people out there trying to think of ways to make a difference that would welcome good ideas with open arms.
    Michezo Youth Initiative - donate | Into Kenya | Naked Chronicles | Mark Bingham - my friend, America's hero

To help new members fit into Flashkit, three rules they forgot to tell you on signup: Rule #1: Learn Group Think, and behave accordingly | Rule #2: Do as certain Mods say, not as they do. | Rule #3: If you're from outside the US, don't at any time criticise, allude or hyperlink to criticism of the US or any of their laws, policies or practices. | Enjoy your time at Flashkit!

First they stick to you and me and then they try to be the savers of the world.
    Hum!....
    How ironic

Bono is highly annoying to me.

He seems hell bent on not just being a philanthropist, but making sure the whole friggin world KNOWS he's a philanthropist. Sure, it's nice that they give, but I don't think it's true altruism. Lots of these celebrities go and do volunteer work with their own personal camera crews following them around so they can catch those little Kodak moments.

I like what Russel Crowe said about it. Just shut the **** up and give quietly.

Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Ecinele
    First they stick to you and me and then they try to be the savers of the world.
    Hum!....
    How ironic
    I assume you meant stick it to you and me.

I am curious how you feel they stick it to you.