A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: positioning dynamic text

positioning dynamic text

Hey everyone,
    Quick question. For some reason when I try to position dynamic text, the positioning on the stage is very different from when it gets published. Changing the text from dynamic to static will apparently slightly change the location of the text when published. Is there anyway to make it so that the dynamic text on the stage (editing mode) is in the same position as it is when published? Thanks all

try embedding the font in the properties panel for the dynamic text
    If you don't think you're going to like the answer, then don't ask the question.

Thanks for the response. If I embed the font, it becomes anti-aliased. What if I want it to remain sharp and clear?

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    Which version of Flash are you using? If I embed the fonts in Flash 8 I still have all of the same options as far as having Anti-aliased/aliased fonts.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Hi Jason,
    Im using version 8 but ideally id like to publish for flash 7 players. Ultimately, it seems as though the line spacing is inherently different between dynamic vs. static (anti-alias) even though the setting of 7px is the same. Any thoughts>

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    I do know that Static text will always look better than dynamic text but dynamic can look pretty good but it really varies on how to do it depending on the font used. I would recommend just trying each of the anti-aliasing settings for the font that you have and determine that way which looks best. I am pretty sure that you can use all of them except for bitmap when publishing to version 7 but am not sure about that.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.