A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Racing-sim game !

Nick Fisher

Racing-sim game !

Hi,

I've been working on this for a while now and I think it's coming on nicely.
    I thought I'd show you all it to see what you think.

http://imageknockout.com/uploads/racecar409982.swf

You can view the controls in the options and change all the graphics so it will run on almost any computer.
    I have'nt added any upgrades yet but you can still buy an engine and turbo, but won't do anything. The only upgrade available at the minute is paint.

You might want to open it in flash player rather than a browser to see the actual size and it should run smoother when it's smaller.

Thanks

Ps. try playing it at night as well as day because it gets light and dark depending on your system clock!
    Nick

better than chuck norris
    that's pretty cool, it should turn out really well when completed, but i like it. the skidding is pretty realistic, and i like the scrolling. good work, i like your stuff.

Yeah, agree. That was sweet. I'd like to see that turn into a Police Chase: Vice City sort of game. Obstacles could include cars, pedestrians, police cars, etc. Keep up the good work.

its not working.

there is no option button either or anything

Nick Fisher
    sudzy, do you have flash player 8, because you need it to view the game?

Thanks guys for the good comments, I was thinking about turning it into a GTA style game as well but am concentrating on making it a racing sim at the minute
    Nick

yeah it workes now with 8

Looks sweet

im in the middle of making a game thats sorta like gta.

anyway its cool, but i think it skids too much.

Nick Fisher
    in real life, you would skid more!
    Nick

Razor
    Dont turn it into a GTA type game, they never get done, and there have been some promising ones.

Keep it a racing simulator, looking good so far

Nick Fisher
    Ok, I've been working hard on this game for the last couple of days and I think it's coming on nicely:

http://imageknockout.com/uploads/racecar230296.swf

Please let me know if you come across any bugs, etc.
    I'm not sure if the loading bar works - I use the progress bar component but it just comes up 100% straight away. If someone has a slow connection can you check if it works properly because I think it probably loads straight away on my connection.
    Thanks
    Last edited by nick_fisher; 12-24-2005 at 04:58 PM.
    Nick

The loading bar filled up quickly. I have broadband connection.

The physics and the screen movement are both impressive. The cars look great too! The only complaint I have is the turning. I have a hard time staying on the road because the car can't turn that well. I tried skidding, but I end up doing a 360 turn, haha. Do the highscores work too?

On second thought. The turning is great! Don't change it! I just realized how to use the skid properly. Lol. But I just remembered something though. When you crash into the walls, I have no way of backing up, I get stuck there.

Also, do the highscores work?

better than chuck norris
    aye aye... there seems to be a problem with the hitting of the walls, you get stuck a little. also, when you start your skid on cement, it will keep skidding even on the grass, just a comment.

Nick Fisher
    The highscore list isn't a high score list. It's a ranking within the game the 49 people are made up and the player will have to win ranked events to go up the rankings. You get higher prizes from races the higher rank you are.

The hitTests are very simple. all it is, is:

if (wall.hitTest(car._x, car._y)) {
    speed *= -.6;
    }

but I don't know how I can make them better because the wall MC contains all walls so I can't make it move away from the wall so it doesn't get stuck because there is no way of telling which way to move the car.
    If you have any ideas, or know an advanced way to make it work, please let me know.
    Thanks

The skidding should continue on grass, shouldn't it?
    there is less grip on grass so it takes a little longer to stop skidding.

Thanks for the feedback.
    Nick

If I were trying to figure out the angle at which to deflect the car from the walls, I'd do extra collision checks once the car hits the wall mc. For instance, checking if an area 50 pixels above the car is touching the walls, an area 50 pixels to the right, an area 50 pixels down, and an area 50 pixels to the left. Possibly checking diagonals, too, for a bit more accuracy. Once you know which of those areas return true, you get a rough idea of which direction the obstacle was in. For instance, if there's a single wall in the middle of the road, and you were heading toward it in a northward direction, then the '50 pixels above' collision check would be true, and you'd therefore push it down a bit.

For a more accurate angle, you could make the number of pixels a bit lower (ie checking closer to the car). However, if you do it too close, there's a chance none of the collision checks will return true. In that case, you could have a while loop which increases the number of pixels it ventures away from the car until you get some results. You could hit an infinite loop, so put some sort of limit on it, past which it'll just give up and resort to your old 'bounce' method.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Nick Fisher
    Thanks vengeance, I'll try that!
    Nick

Yay! Someone used my idea! I'm popular!
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.