A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: how to refreshpage but not the flash

how to refreshpage but not the flash

Here is what I am trying to do.
    My website will have a 100 pixel tall flash header, at the top of the page.
    Then the rest of the page will be content. I want it so as people navigate the site, everything will get reloaded, except for the flash movie. The main reason is because I will have it playing music and I don't want the music to restart every time someone views a new page on the site. Any ideas to how to make this happend? The site is very dynamic using asp.net And it must be compatible for all browser types, Mozilla, firefox, IE ext... I am almost at the point where I would just have a popup window with the music, and then have the rest of the site go as normal.

Any ideas?

Hi Fzr600man,

Have you considered putting the Flash header in a frame, or is that not going to work for you?

Regards,
    Venio
    Flash Kit Moderator . Duke University
    Thomas Jefferson High School for Science and Technology

shared objects?

I thought about the frames idea, but this is for a site that is very high traffic ( 20,000 visitors a day ). Browser compatibility is a must. Also I don't want to do anything that would discourage search engines.

When you talk about shared objects, keep in mind that the last thing I want to do is run flashcom server. Even with shared objects, between each page there would be a small break in the music. Do you have any idea the cost to run Flashcom for 20,000+ connections? Any other ideas?

At this point I am thinking of just doing a popup music player that people can minimize.

Official FK nice guy and MOD 3PRIMATES's Avatar
    Dont the majority of browsers support frames?
    Why not use a local connection to pass variables between your movies. Has worked well for me in the past.
    Had a site that wanted button sounds and music to continue when a button was pressed or another page loaded. I just created a local connection to the header movie and passed vars back and forth to trigger events. Seemed to work well.

3P

Yes the majority of browsers do support frames, but search engines sometimes don't like frames. That being the main reason I want to stay away from them. I am also finding that macromedia still has not fixed the problem with shoutcast streaming with IE for PC so I might just scrap this idea all together. I am open to suggestions though

just an idea that i thought might be worth thinking about :

you could load the music swf into the main browser window and then open the site in a pop-up window (either automatically or by user intercation) so that the user could browse the site while the music is playing in the background

You could usea javascript function in your popup page to send the initial main window (the one holding the music) to a new page to play a different tune using something like

window.opener.location = url;

thats not a bad idea, but it still doesn't fix the shoutcast problem. I need to load shoutcast streams and this doesn't work in IE