dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: help with an ultra-cool navigation concept

flash-a-delic veteran

help with an ultra-cool navigation concept

hey y'all,

working on a project which i need a bit of assistance on; if this can't be done then i'll take a simpler approach, but this would be way sweeter. download the fla and take a look.

scrolling clothesline (saved as Flash 7)

i'd like to let the user be able to scroll through the thumbnail 'filmstrip' clips, in much the same way as you see in the example, only i'd like to modify it to do the following but am not sure how to script this:

- have the clips align to and follow along the clothesline as they currently do, as well as let the user scroll through them
    - have the clips scle from smaller (about 90% smaller than they are now) to 100%, from left to right
    - let the user grab the laundry clothesline wheel to the right, and manually scroll through the clips by turning it counter-clockwise (at this point the auto scrolling script would be disabled, and re-enabled when the user rolls out of the wheel's hit state area

nothing to it, right? ;-)

thanks for any and all help - let me know if you have any questions
    Rob

"hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid"

Not that this helps a whole lot, but as far as I know, you should look into learning how to use guide lines, or simply guides. Once you make a movie clip (MC), edit its center with the transform tool, then make a guide layer for it, draw a line you want it to be on and follow. Put the MC's center on one end of the line then tween it to the other end. If you made a curved line, you will notice that the MC will go up or down the curved line, following it.

Also know that you do not have to make the guide line transparent, when you view the flash movie, the guide line will automatically be transparent, or thats at least how it worked for me.

Hope that helped!

flash-a-delic veteran

I understand about using guides, but...

...what I want to figure out is a way to use the laundry wheel to make the thumbnail clips move along the clothesline fwd/back.
    Rob

"hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid"

Oh, well you need to look into some tutorials where a button advances and rewinds the timeline, then look into one of the tutorials where if you rotate a button, it affects something (something like this: Link to tutorial at Sonify.org )

Well, I spent a hour and some trying to put together a .fla for you, but I am having problems getting a button to repeat a function as long as it is pressed down.