A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: DirectSound Questions

Anyone know where to get a new soundcard for this new LordOfDaRing computer game I got?? It said it needid DirectX8.1 I don't think I have that.

Anyone know a way to check??
    When you actually know what "OMG I have so much homework!" means, you won't want to be me.
    Xrave

DirectX... wanna check?

start > run > dxdiag (then hit enter)

you'll see exactly what version you're running that way. btw, version 9.0c is the latest version of DirectX - http://www.microsoft.com/directx to download or you can install from that disk - should be the version you need at least.

And if all else fails, DirectX is for video. DirectSound is for sound cards. Very slight difference.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Thanks Gerberk... but DirectX is not what I want, I think It ment the sound card to be DirectX8.1 not the video card.
    When you actually know what "OMG I have so much homework!" means, you won't want to be me.
    Xrave

How do you check on Direct Sound?
    Xrave

Quote Originally Posted by tongxn
    How do you check on Direct Sound?
    See the "Sound" tab in the dxdiag tool? that's where you test it. you should see "Test DirectSound" right there in the middle of that tool page.

nonono you misunderstood me, I want to check on the verson the soundcard is.
    Xrave

Version of soundcard? You have no clue to what you bought? Hit up your device manager if you're that in the dark.

Check the DirectSound there... it works, then you're compliant. I don't think you quite understand how it all works.

no I don't.
    Xrave

And I still don't.. where is this device manager again?
    Xrave

test the sound via DirectSound. Hear the test? you're fine... install the software. simply put, DirectX 8 is quite old... almost 5 years, if not older. If you've purchased your machine, or you're running WindowsXP, or at least Windows 2000; you should be just fine. Seriously.

But for device manager, right click "My Computer" > Manage > Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers - this works in Win2k and WinXP. You will see what kind of soundcard you have inside of your machine. Google it for the compliance.

For instance, I have a CMI8738 PCI device... it's DirectX8 compliant. Easily.

I'm splitting the conversation about your DirectSound from the Christmas Gift thread, btw. Let's leave it alone for people to talk about their Christmas spoils, ok?

oh It seemed in order Gerbick, and thanks for turning this forum inside out of that what did you get for christmas um.
    Xrave

Glad it worked.

What did I get for Christmas? It's in this thread.