dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Does have too many layers still cause a problem in some browsers?

Hi,

I know that this was a problem awhile back, but I was wondering whether having too many layers still created problems?

Any help appreciated.

Jged

raising hell to the next level

too many layers as in a flash movie? i have worked with 14 layers on stage the most

Sorry, no I meant using PS.

Jged

when you compress a photoshop file there are no layers. its just a .jpg or whatever you used. pixel by pixel. so there should not be a problem. unless you for some reason put the photoshop file on the web, i dont even think that would work though

Hi,

I suppose the only drawback then in using too many layers is the download time?

Jged

Genesis of creative reflexes.. mysticpixels's Avatar
    Jged, as a designer with a pretty long exposure to PS, i feel that while designing in photoshop we shud use as many layers as possible to simplify the design, so that we can make changes in any point of time. Since, in pscs2 we have a great possibility of usage of layers with groups of layers, it is obvious that we use a lot of layers. of course we shud name the layers corresponding to the elements that we are designing and design in an object oriented manner.

As far as your question, on using too many layers affecting dload time....hmmm.....this is not a valid question, if you are an experienced desinger. Layers in photoshop has nothing to do at all with the output file in jpeg, gif or any other format.....
    • Innovative Websites - (Flash/HTML-CSS)
    • Flash Intros/Animations
    • Interface/Layout Designing/Logo Designing

Quote Originally Posted by Jged

I suppose the only drawback then in using too many layers is the download time?
    Hi you cant put a psd into a webpage, you can import a Jpeg, Png and gif all of these three are flat files not layered. The original file you create in Photoshop can have several layers but thats not important as when you export the image for the web it will be flattened.

regarding file size, the more complex the image the higher the file size, this also goes with the files dimension (a 2 x 2 pixel gif will be smaller than a 2000 x 2000 gif)

my rules are to use a gif if the image has very few colours in it and to use a jpeg if there are several colours in the image as the quality of the image will be much better.

Its worth exporting images as gif and jpeg and then looking at the file sizes, this will help you get used to using the best export methods for your site.

bp