A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Updating File from Player 6 to Player 7...can't get it working right

Updating File from Player 6 to Player 7...can't get it working right

I need to migrate this file from FP6 to FP7 and i thought it would be as easy as just declaring the variables and making some changes here and there, but apparently not. I also need to find a way to delete an onEnterFrame when mouse is not moving, but then stat it back up again, when the mouse starts moving.( I figure it will help cut down on processor load ). Anyway, attached is the file i need some help with. Any help/suggestions etc woud be appreciated.

Oh...Also... if anyone can think of way to make the same effect work on buttons/mc's within external clips loaded into a container, that would be much appreciated as well... everything i have tried has been unsuccessful..

thanks in advance
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Please DO NOT PM me simply for individual help. Post in the public forums...that's what they are for, and they allow others to benefit as well. - Thx
    OS X 10.3.9 || Flash MX04 Pro
    | del.icio.us || furl || Helpful Source Files || Free Pixel Fonts |

- The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

thanks cancer... but not only don't i understand how to use that debugger...but i can't open it. I haven't upgraded from MX04 to 8 yet... Any other thoughts?
    Please DO NOT PM me simply for individual help. Post in the public forums...that's what they are for, and they allow others to benefit as well. - Thx

Ok,

here is the 7 version. All you do is copy and paste the debugger into your movie. Then check all the values you need to check by entering them into the textfield as explained in the tutorial ( ). Check with publish 6 and then or side by side publish 7. It saves you lot of time testing your movie. Already one var I found, which is undefined, the boolean rolledover.

ok.. i'll give it a try.. Although i'm am almost positive i defined that as well as all the other vars when i was trying to convert it myself. I also tried converting the onClipEvent() codes into frame code using onLoad onEnterFrame.... but if i try to define the variables contained in those onClipEvent code blocks, the whole thing ceases to work. I thought i might be able to convert them into a function of some sort, with an onEnterFrame() so i could kill the enterFrame when the mouse is not moving....but i coldn't come up with anything that worked.

Before i posted the files above, i converted everything back to the orig FP6 syntax, figured it would be easier to figure out the problems that way...

i'll get back to you about the debugger..

Thanks

I tried that as well and xPos is NaN.

ok question about the debugger... do i have to go in and change the test() function and set up all of my movie's variables? i.e. var rolledOver - false; var ratio = 3 etc?...

You don't have to change anything. Just do as if the debugger is your main timeline. Type in the var you need to find out as if you are on the main timeline. look at the example i placed.

i did look at the example...i read through it like 20 times... Maybe i'm just retarded, but i had a hard time with it. You looked at my file...what i can't figure out is how to rewrite the softFriction() and hardFriction() functions... (this is a random source file i pulled from somewhere long ago..i didn't write the code for it) all they really do is set variables, and i can't do this:

var ratio = 3;
    var friction = .1;

function softFriction(){
    ratio;
    friction;
    }

so how do i fix that?... i tried assigning separate vars for softFriction() ratio and friction as well as hardFriction() ratio and friction... but it doesn't work, and it doesn't make sense. If you or someone could take a stab at it and advise me as to what to change and where (at least get me started) then i can most likely finish it myself. I'm just completely lost!!

Put the debugger on your stage. Test movie and type e.g _root.t0 in the debugger and then see what happens, then add._x and so on. I think I need to explain better though I thought my explanation was clear. sorry for that.

I would completely rewrite the code from scratch. I have seen these cases when stuff was written in Flash 6, because Flash 6 code can be like a twilight zone code

Start with the onClipEvents of the parenthesis and get them moving according to the mouse movement. The work your self onwards with the rollover events. But put all scripts in 1 frame in the main timeline. That was the biggest mistake, MM ever did to allow users to attach scripts to objects.
    Last edited by cancerinform; 12-26-2005 at 03:17 PM.

ok.. i'll give it a shot.... I hate using object code myself...frame code is so much easier to edit and fix.... but i have been trying to fix this for a week or so now... would you be able to give me an idea as to how to rewrite the movement for those? i don't even know where to begin... it's so damn hard to try to customize someone else's code.... and i get caught up trying to fix what they did, and can't get past it to see where to start to write my own....

thanks for your help up to this point.. and thanks in advance if you decide to help me tackle the rewrite....

I have a look. Christmas means giving

lol.... you're the best.... thanks!

This is not perfect, but close to it. Start from here.

thanks... but just a question... i wouldn't be surprised if i were wrong. But I thought that "setProperty()" was old syntax that was replaced with dot syntax?... If that's true, how is it going to work in FP7 or 8?.... I'm gonna take a break from this for the night... look at it fresh tomorrow and see if i can take another stab at it...if i don't get anywhere, i'll stab myself in the face!! Damn i HATE IT when flash this tempermental!1

thanks again

setProperty is AS2. You are wrong.

setProperty function
    setProperty(target:Object, property:Object, expression:Object) : Void

There is some opinions going around about this but that is wrong.

ok... doesn't surprise me.... when it comes to AS.. i usually am wrong!!