dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Ho to convert video (.avi) to flash (.flv) programatically

Ho to convert video (.avi) to flash (.flv) programatically

Hi everybody,

I'm trying to decide what's the best way to do this...

The problem:
    I have quite a handful of short videos (.avi) that I'd like to put on the internet. It's copy righted materials, so it's preferable that they're not cached in client's computer. My research told me that it's the job for streaming technology, and after further research it seems that flash streaming movies (.flv) are good candidates for this.

The goal:
    I know there're apps out there that converts .avi to .flv, but I need to be able to automate this process for the company that I work for. I'm a programmer and I can learn actionscript if needed, but before I spend my time to do that, I need to know if it's doable or not.

The automation process should roughly look like this:
    1. The program reads video list from an input file.
    2. The list basically are the location of the .avi files in the hard drive.
    3. In the loop, the apps will sequentially convert each of the .avi movie to the .flv format.

The questions:
    1. Can I achieve my goal using actionscript?
    2. If not, can any body suggest a good way to do this? the keywords here is "to automate the process", so feel free to suggest any commercial software as long as it's programmable.

I really appreciate your feedback on this.

Thanks,
    Leon

PS: As you've probably guessed, I'm very very new in the flash world.

The flash 8 stand alone video encoder allows you to do batch conversions. So you can select all the files you want to convert, add them to the queue, and leave it to do its business. You can select a different folder to put the converted files and you can select whether or not to erase the old file.

I don't see a built in way to import a list of AVIs. However the encoder allows you to save the queue that you create by manually adding files. I looked into the encoder's application data folder and this information is stored as XML. So if you know XML well enough, you could convert your list to the XML file in the applications data folder and the encoder should load it up. (Im using flash 8 pro for Windows)

I don't think FLVs are any more secure then other streaming technologies. There are ways you can tell the browser not to cache pages with javascript. Do a google search for:
    Response.AddHeader "pragma", "no-cache"
    But I'm sure you know that if someone wants it bad enough they will find a way.

The only web movie that I havent been able to figure out how to save is a quicktime movie that is loaded into a holder quicktime movie. (Flash can publish movies in quicktime)

Banned
    have a look at http://www.****************.com

then you'll find a good way to convert video to flash (.flv).